CoinPeople.com

Notgeld

Blackhawk

Very cool. I understand that many of them were made from standard dies for one side with the other side customized to the city or businesses particular needs.

Ooooo, I love that bridge at top! Cool stuff!

Yes, looks nice. That is the old Rhine bridge in Bonn, built in the late 19th century and destroyed in WW2.

alte-rheinbruecke_204x136.jpg

The best part of that bridge is not visible on that piece. Back then, Beuel (on the right bank) was not a part of Bonn yet. Due to some dispute, Beuel did not contribute anything to the cost of that bridge. So the city of Bonn paid it all, but added a little sculpture of a man who put his pants down and shows his nekkid bottom ... towards the Beuelers. After WW2 a new bridge was built there, and a copy of that figure was added. :ninja:

Christian

Yes, Due to some dispute, Beuel did not contribute anything to the cost of that bridge. So the city of Bonn paid it all, but added a little sculpture of a man who put his pants down and shows his nekkid bottom ... towards the Beuelers. After WW2 a new bridge was built there, and a copy of that figure was added. :lol:

:ninja:

Yes, looks nice. That is the old Rhine bridge in Bonn, built in the late 19th century and destroyed in WW2.

The best part of that bridge is not visible on that piece. Back then, Beuel (on the right bank) was not a part of Bonn yet. Due to some dispute, Beuel did not contribute anything to the cost of that bridge. So the city of Bonn paid it all, but added a little sculpture of a man who put his pants down and shows his nekkid bottom ... towards the Beuelers. After WW2 a new bridge was built there, and a copy of that figure was added. :lol:

Christian

:ninja: Thanks for that! I love those kinds of little "hidden stories" in architecture.

The best part of that bridge is not visible on that piece. Back then, Beuel (on the right bank) was not a part of Bonn yet. Due to some dispute, Beuel did not contribute anything to the cost of that bridge. So the city of Bonn paid it all, but added a little sculpture of a man who put his pants down and shows his nekkid bottom ... towards the Beuelers. After WW2 a new bridge was built there, and a copy of that figure was added. :lol:

Christian

Great story :ninja:

Here's a couple of pieces I have from my family's hometown.

Gluck.jpg

In only 3 years it goes from 25 pfennig to a billion marks

Million.jpg

Beautiful examples, Bill.

I wish someone made a website with a comprehensive notgeld coins catalog. Christian, Is there one in German? Is there a book in German with lots of pictures? The only English language book on notgeld that I know of was published by Krause and it leaves a lot to be desired.

Beautiful examples, Bill.

I wish someone made a website with a comprehensive notgeld coins catalog. Christian, Is there one in German? Is there a book in German with lots of pictures? The only English language book on notgeld that I know of was published by Krause and it leaves a lot to be desired.

Sorry, no idea if there is such a website - while I find many notgeld coins and notes quite interesting, I do not collect them. Gietl Verlag (the biggest "numismatic" publishing house in Germany) issued a comprehensive series of notgeld catalogs - nine volumes, about 500 pages each. :ninja: Here is an example (4 pages) from Volume 9 - Special Notgeld:

http://www.gietl-verlag.de/shop/PDF/GI-6193.pdf

(These are "textile" notes from Bielefeld.)

This latest volume is a little thinner, only 200 pages. Guess there aren't that many fabric or leather notes ...

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know of any websites, but there are at least two references on the coins in German. Unfortunately I don't remember the title of the major reference, it is normally refered to as Menzel. Found it, DEUTSCHE NOTMUNZEN UND GELDERSATZMARKEN 1840-1990 by Peter Menzel. I have a copy but haven't used it a lot. I don't read German. I don't recall how well illustrated it was. It is also a moderately expensive book. The other book DIE MUTMUNZEN DER DEUTSCHEN STADTE, GERMEINDEN, KREISE, LANDEN, ETC by Walter Funk is much less expensive an is fairly well illustrated.

I just collect the municipal issues and I collect them by Lamb numbers. Robert Lamb's Catalog of Grman War Tokens 1914 - 1922 is the best work in english and is well illustrated. If you can find a copy they are fairly cheap, but that is because it is a 40 year old work and the prices in it are completely worthless. It's great for identification though. Joel Anderson has new copies available for $15.

Archived