CoinPeople.com

Visiting a Federal Reserve

mmarotta

Have you ever visited a Federal Reserve?

Click on the appropriate websites or call in advance and find out what the rules are in the post-9/11 world of Homeland Security, but you can still go.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/

each has its own website. Some are *.gov and some are *.org -- as if they are "non profit" which is either scary or funny.

1. A. Boston

2. B. New York

3. C. Philadelphia

4. D, Cleveland

5. E. Richmond

6. F. Atlanta

7. G. Chicago

8. H. St. Louis

9. I. Minneapolis

10. J. Kansas City

11. K. Dallas

12. L. San Francisco

I have been to Cleveland and Dallas.

Cleveland was rich and plush with mahongany walls and wool on the floor. Vistors with me said that it was nicer than the White House. Dallas was new and high tech and clean and steel and concrete.

In Cleveland, they tout the machine gun emplacements.

In Dallas, they say that they guard the money, of course, but they are not too conerned because Treasury will print all the money they need: they guard the DATA.

If you get a chance to visit a Fed, then do.

Jorge Lueke did, but for some reason, he was more enthralled with the subsequent visit to the ANS Library.

Best part of the visit: the little plastic bag of shredded currency.

If you get a chance to visit a Fed, then do.

Jorge Lueke did, but for some reason, he was more enthralled with the subsequent visit to the ANS Library.

Best part of the visit: the little plastic bag of shredded currency.

Bah, I may be working at one fairly soon.

Plus, I very much did enjoy the coin display at the Fed (Though it was put on by the ANS :ninja: )

I visited the Fed Res in NYC when I was first working for Moody's in Manhattan. We went with one of our Sr. Account Execs who was responsible for the NYC ---- some workers' pension fund. We got a great tour. I was fascinated. MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!

(1964 as I recall).

I haven't been to the local FRB ... I've thought about it a bit, but ever since 9/11 there are these hip-high concrete barracades around the front of the building, and just walking on the sidewalk past it feels kinda creepy.

I visited in the SF FRB back when I was in HS, that was quite sometime before 9/11. We were on a pre-organised tour of the facility, we got to go way down into the vaults, saw $700 Million in storage, got to feel counterfeit currency etc. They also had an exhibit with large denomination ie $500 - $10000 notes on a wall down in the vault.

I am not sure about the other FRBs, but the only one I've seen, was the NY Fed, and the only thing extremely interesting there was going down into the vault to see all the GOLD!!!! Lots and lots of GOLD! All in 400 oz. bars stacked neatly in little cubicles (they actually looked more like jail cells) and there was one for each country. So when France bought gold from the UK, they would just move some bars from the UK cell to the France cell. The most depressing part about it was that very little of that gold belonged to us!

Oh, and I also got to see stacks of paper notes and shredded money (they gave us a little bit in a plastic bubble affixed to a cardboard backing, probably not more than one note's worth). But that was boring compared to the GOLD!!!!

• 10 months later...

I've been to the Richmond one. I used to work on an island right next to it and look at it all day. It's a big building as you can imagine but big for Richmond.

My favorite thought to ponder when looking at it is knowing that it goes something like 19 floors underground. There is a very well hidden access to the vaults that the armored trucks use. I have never seen an armored truck anywhere near the place. So I imagine its got its own mile long tunnel under the city.

I went home for thanksgiving and I visited the NY Fed while I was there.

The gold vault was great but there is an ANA exhibit there called Drachmas Doubloons and Dollars which was absoutely amazing to see. The big coin that the tour guides pointed out was the 8.3 million dollar 1933 Double Eagle. It's funny, while everyone was "oooh"ing at that I was staring slack jawed at the high relief 1907 Double Eagle which was in the same display case.

There were many amazing coins and medals starting with the first coins ever and ending in the flat lifeless modern era.

We started looking at the coins before we went down to the gold vault and while we were in the vault I really wanted to get back to the surface so I could continue looking at the coins!!!! That's how amazing that collection is.

I have been to the new Dallas Branch in Houston (much bigger new building). They have a couple of nice notes on display inthe building.

I am going to try and hit the ECB in Frankfurt am Main soon.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate

I visited in the SF FRB back when I was in HS, that was quite sometime before 9/11.

i think that, now, you have to be pre-approved for such a tour--you have to give personal details in advance. as a government employee of sorts i would expect to pass, but honestly, who needs to give these people another excuse to prowl into our backgrounds ...

Archived