CoinPeople.com

Coins of Thailand

akdrv

As you may know my European collection is now is the Bunny's tender care. I'm restarting my collection with a new theme. This time it's: coins of Thailand.

My first purchase was this beautiful color catalog that includes all Thai coins since silver bullet coinage to 2004. About two thirds are modern commemoratives issued under Rama IX (the current king of Thailand) since 1946, but mostly in the last 30 years. I'd like to assemble a complete circulation type set, without modern commemoratives (there is just an insane number of them).

m7tglx.jpgm7tgt2.jpg

I still need to get my camera setup for closeups. ;) If you need any info on Thai cois, I've got the book. :ninja:

• 1 year later...
I bought this book at the Chatuchak market in Bangkok for about US$15. There is another version of a Thai coin catalog on sale at the Royal Palace coin museum.

thank-you i will check it out when i go back in sept.

I'm trying to get the new commens of the banknotes, which is proving interesting enough. (I got a regular issue 1,000 Baht from a dealer for a dollar, lol)

I did happen to pick up a bunch of coins a few weekends ago in a lot I purchased. Most seem to be older, and since I have no clue how to even read the dates, I'm basically lost. But they are neat little things, all kinds of different metals too.

Very cool, thank you, but I still can't figure it out. If I scan one can someone tell me where the date is first off, and secondly, what symbols actually match the ones from that page. They seemed stylalized, so not quite the same.

I'm apparently a dope, I still can't figure it out.

Here are three of the coins I mentioned earlier, can someone please tell me what and where the date is? Thanks! I think I see a 2 something 51 on one of them, but I might just be nuts. Sorry about the poor quality of the photos, I was a bit rushed.

4kz2qts.jpg

62n5pud.jpg

4zum9ur.jpg

4y0nxbo.jpg

This last one is smaller than a dime, it's pretty neat.

63utkqe.jpg

52xrn07.jpg

I'm apparently a dope, I still can't figure it out.

Here are three of the coins I mentioned earlier, can someone please tell me what and where the date is? Thanks! I think I see a 2 something 51 on one of them, but I might just be nuts. Sorry about the poor quality of the photos, I was a bit rushed.

4kz2qts.jpg

62n5pud.jpg

4zum9ur.jpg

4y0nxbo.jpg

This last one is smaller than a dime, it's pretty neat.

63utkqe.jpg

52xrn07.jpg

hi vfox--the dates are usually if not always on the back--the 1st coin--the date is from 2 o'clock to 4 o'cloch and is 2505--2nd coin is from 6 o'clock to 4:30 and is 2489--3rd coin is also about from 6 o'clock to 4:30 and is 2500--i'm reasonably certain this is right-hope this helps you out a little

hi vfox--the dates are usually if not always on the back--the 1st coin--the date is from 2 o'clock to 4 o'cloch and is 2505--2nd coin is from 6 o'clock to 4:30 and is 2489--3rd coin is also about from 6 o'clock to 4:30 and is 2500--i'm reasonably certain this is right-hope this helps you out a little

That does indeed help, thanks very much! Knowing where the symbols actually are that make the date makes all the difference, lol. Thanks for helping me with that Greg.

That does indeed help, thanks very much! Knowing where the symbols actually are that make the date makes all the difference, lol. Thanks for helping me with that Greg.

glad to help--if anyone needs any coins from Thailand just let me know and i will try to get them for you for the face value of the coin plus S&H

If it is helpful for you to use when comparing to other Thai coins in comparison, I'll translate the first coin for you. On the obverse, the left hand side says "Bhumipol Adulyadet", the name of the current King (L makes N sound at end of syllable). The right hand side says "Ninth Period" (as in period of reign) and refers to the ninth king (the current king).

On the reverse, top left says "Thai Government". Top right has two letters (พ.ศ.) which are the abbreviation for the Buddhist calendar year (like A.D. or B.C.) and the date, 2505. Bottom says "one baht".

Feel free to send me any Thai stuff for translation/questions...since it is the only specialty where I'm actually useful to anyone on this website.

ardrv - is your Thai collection catching up to mine? Hope you are doing well.

Dave

glad to help--if anyone needs any coins from Thailand just let me know and i will try to get them for you for the face value of the coin plus S&H

Is it possible to get currency? I am trying to find a source for some of the special issue notes from other than ebay.

If it is helpful for you to use when comparing to other Thai coins in comparison, I'll translate the first coin for you. On the obverse, the left hand side says "Bhumipol Adulyadet", the name of the current King (L makes N sound at end of syllable). The right hand side says "Ninth Period" (as in period of reign) and refers to the ninth king (the current king).

On the reverse, top left says "Thai Government". Top right has two letters (พ.ศ.) which are the abbreviation for the Buddhist calendar year (like A.D. or B.C.) and the date, 2505. Bottom says "one baht".

Feel free to send me any Thai stuff for translation/questions...since it is the only specialty where I'm actually useful to anyone on this website.

ardrv - is your Thai collection catching up to mine? Hope you are doing well.

Dave

That's helpful, thanks! I just got some 1,5,10, and 20 baht paper money, the 1 and 5 are pretty old, from 1955 and 56 I think. I also got another coin, a 5 baht from 1971 (if im right).

Could somebody please help me to read the date on this Baht?

http://avscoins.com/Baht.jpg

According to Krause (Y#34a) it should be between 120 and 127 (1901-1907 AD), but I can't find it on the coin.

Also what does the beautiful book at the beginning of this thread say about the edge? Krause says it is plain, while the edge of my coin is reeded.

In the 19th century there was a similar Baht without a date (Y#34). Could my coin be that one?

Thanks.

I'd be happy to...but the link you posted says "suspended account." I'll need a picture to tell you what your coin is.

Dave

Space left for my attachments at CoinPeople is up :ninja:

My site was suspended today for some reason, but the link is working fine now.

Archived