CoinPeople.com

Nekkid coin thread.

Tiffibunny

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're kidding me! THAT is what they use for paper money! No way! How would you like to have to carry that around to Wal-Mart every time you went! lol!

Tell your husband that they would make good tractor tires, and maybe he will get interested in coins too. :ninja:

When this topic first started, it reminded me of a site I had come across, but alas I could not find it again. I thought it was at the French mint, but no luck. Then tonight, I was visiting the French site and clicked on something that took me to the link. Before I lose it again, the following link will take you to the mint's exhibition of nudes on medals.

http://www.monnaiedeparis.fr/actualite/Expointro.htm

The text is in French, but you should be able to decipher the pictures.

(Seriously, its worth a visit if you like medallic arts.)

Harry Bass Foundation.

http://www.harrybassfoundation.org/links.htm

Links at the middle of the Top.

Then click on Currency.

You want section 5000.

Look at the $5 Silver Certificates and other notes in the "Educational" (Blanche Dubois) series.

(use the individual item search)

Search for the words spintria and tessera on Google, Wildwinds or CoinArchives. These were supposedly "Roman brothel tokens." Much speculation surrounds them.

Tessera might mean "fourth" most likely direct from Greek, or might mean "corner" or therefore "cut" -- (the same as "coin" comes from "wedge" for the shape of the die) -- or something similar. Tessera are also identified as admission tickets to theaters and games. As such, they are ancient tokens, independent of any other considerations.

The ancients were less inhibited than us. :-)

The only shame to nakedness was that it meant that you could not afford a cloak.

(If we had to walk around naked, more people would have memberships in "sweatshops.")

As late as 150 BC, Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius worked naked in his fields, alongside his slaves. That was recorded by Plutarch about 80 AD, and it was only an example of Cato's willingness to do hard work.

The assimilation of Jewish values through Christianity changed the Hellenic-Romanic worldview. Independent of that, of course, the barbarian invasions might have had a similar result. Coming from cold climates, the Germans wore pants. On the other hand, when the Hellenes and Latins came down into the Mediterranean basin a couple thousand years previous, they shed their clothes. So, it is difficult to predict the alternate history.

Also, Greek coins tended to portray naked gods, not goddesses, and the goddess's pudicity was never revealed, of course.

If you start with any coffee table book on Greek coins -- G. K. Jenkins's for instance -- you can then go to Coin Archives or Wildwinds and find many nudes.

(You meant, "... than we.")

Archived