CoinPeople.com

Hello All

Hello everyone! My name is Beth, a pretty new coin and paper money collector from very rural Northern Missouri. (this is how rural we are: The nearest Wal-Mart is an hour away! You know THAT is bad! lol!) Anyway, I have been doing this for about two years, started when my then-fiancee gave me a bag of coins he had found in his grandfather's things when he died, and I have been hooked ever since. Not that interested in American stuff, but just fascianted by world stuff. I also like the older stuff better then new stuff. More history behind the old stuff! Anyway, looking forward to learning from all the people here who know alot more then I do!

Well, there was a Booker T. Washington Silver dollar, from the 1940's, (At least I think that is what it was. It has been awhile since I looked at it!) Two or three straits settlements coins from the late 1800's, two or three Italian coins from the 1800's, and some swedish rappen from the late 1800's, early 1900's. That was the highlights, but I know there are more, I just don't remember them. I also have gotten a bunch of coins over the last two years from a buddy of mine, and he has sent me some pretty good ones! I go more for older coins with lots of history behind them, not so much the newer ones. Same with the paper money. I like the older stuff!

Well, there was a Booker T. Washington Silver dollar, from the 1940's, (At least I think that is what it was. It has been awhile since I looked at it!) Two or three straits settlements coins from the late 1800's, two or three Italian coins from the 1800's, and some swedish rappen from the late 1800's, early 1900's.  That was the highlights, but I know there are more, I just don't remember them. I also have gotten a bunch of coins over the last two years from a buddy of mine, and he has sent me some pretty good ones! I go more for older coins with lots of history behind them, not so much the newer ones. Same with the paper money. I like the older stuff!

I would love to see those coins from the Straits! And if those are indeed "rappen" coins, then they are more likely to be from Switzerland than Sweden. :ninja:

btw: Welcome!!

Your right, they were from Switzerland! I found one that was a 25 Rappen, my Krause said it was worth a pretty good sum in UNC cond, but I have a hard time grading what the condition of a coin is. I mean, just because I think a coin looks like it hasn't been circulated, doesn't mean that I am right. I mean, what do I know! I haven't been doing this for that long! Is it possible to have a coin that is UNC but it still has toning and stuff like that on it, or does that mean that it has been circulated, and is probably in something like VF condition? The gradings kinda get me confused!

Your right, they were from Switzerland! I found one that was a 25 Rappen, my Krause said it was worth a pretty good sum in UNC cond, but I have a hard time grading what the condition of a coin is. I mean, just because I think a coin looks like it hasn't been circulated, doesn't mean that I am right. I mean, what do I know! I haven't been doing this for that long! Is it possible to have a coin that is UNC but it still has toning and stuff like that on it, or does that mean that it has been circulated, and is probably in something like VF condition? The gradings kinda get me confused!

You might want to take a look here:

http://www.coinpeople.com/Coin-Grading-Challenge-f59.html

Archived