CoinPeople.com

Mounted 1894 Gold US Ten Dollar Coin

Jon Hill

I would pay about $300 to a walk in customer who brought it to me. The good thing about your find is that it isn't badly damaged or worn and that it's in a rather nicely made bezel. The bad thing about it is that the mounting kills the numismatic value. That sort of mounting is usually the type of bezel which was closed around the coin with a burnisher, but sometimes a mounting like that was soldered.

Too bad you aren't near me. I'd ask you to bring it by in the morning so I could give you cash for it.

Thanks everyone.

As its my first Gold find I'd like to keep it, but if the Landowner wants his share I'll have to sell it. Surley it would be a crime to sell it just for melting down? I'd rather it went to someone who could appreciate it for what it is. Should I have the mount removed so its condition can be properly assessed? Will it always be worth more as a plain coin?

If I do have to sell it any ideas who I could sell it to?

Cheers,

Jon

Surley it would be a crime to sell it just for melting down? I'd rather it went to someone who could appreciate it for what it is.

Don't worry - "melt" is just a reference to bullion value. Gold coins are usually traded as bullion pieces in their own right.

Archived