CoinPeople.com

Exotic metals / alloys that you have for coins?

gxseries

Something that just popped out of my mind while I was typing out for a reply in one of the forum topics. :ninja:

What kind of exotic metals / alloys do you have for coins? The only exotic one that I have ever seen is clay, porcelain and fibreglass coins, well technically they aren't metal... Or I guess mine is platinum and palladium, but they aren't really THAT exotic... compared to the other rare metals out there.

Look at the bottom page <- Interesting clay and porcelain coins. ;)

But yes, of course there are some coins that aren't struck in certain type of metals, such as nobium and titanium, although they both do exist :cry: If I am not wrong, I think Austria has released a coin that's purely titanium, or probably one of the British Islands, (I never get them right...). The nobium coin was released as a bimetal, produced by a Swiss mint... hopefully I am not horribly off...

Here is an interesting list of metals ever used in coins, although it might be slightly outdated, it's highly interesting. ;)

Metals used in coinage

:lol:

If I am not wrong, I think Austria has released a coin that's purely titanium, or probably one of the British Islands, (I never get them right...). The nobium coin was released as a bimetal, produced by a Swiss mint... hopefully I am not horribly off...

Austria has indeed issued some silver/titanium and silver/niobium coins (bimetallic and bi-color). Latvia issued a similar Ag/Nb piece. These were all made by the Austrian Mint. There may well be other countries that also made such coins ...

Christian