CoinPeople.com

NGC 2005 Registry Awards announced!

gpnyc

Our own Jeff (jtryka) was given the prestigious "Best Presented Set" award for his collection of Saints. (See about halfway down in the link below - "Empire Builder – North Coast Limited - Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles 1907-1932").

For the registry haters here, please note that these awards are not based on points or set ranking, they are based primarily on presentation and effort. These awards do not reward the lazy (i.e. the number 1 set with no pictures).

Oh, there's someone else further down the list that you may recognize. :ninja:

2005 NGC Awards

Wow, I am absolutely stunned! I'm certainly glad you found this because I had no clue at all about this (I never even received any mention from NGC that my set was even being considered, much less won an award!). I know there is a lot of controversy on registry sets and the negative effects of them on the collector market etc, but I think they can be used as a good thingt to share our passions with other interested collectors. It's like many other things in this world, registry sets can be used as a tool for good or ill, the choice is up to the user. Anyhow, I am really honored that they chose to highlight my set for what it is, not a collection of points and grade numbers but a joy I love to share.

Now gpnyc, I know from what you've shown here and elsewhere that you have some truly spectacular coins, many of which I confess have caused me to violate the 10th commandment, but your signature set is amazing in its breadth and depth. I've never had much appreciation for pre-18th century coins, but your presentation really brings them to life, not to mention the fact that I never know the gold of Venice was so pretty (this after reading so many historical accounts on the importance of that city in trade throughout the Renaissance and the worldwide acceptance of Venetian Ducats, I don't think I've ever seen a Venetian gold coin before today!). Anyhow, congratulations on your honor as well, it's a great feeling that NGC is not so elitist as to focus on the big money collections while ignoring those of us with a true passion for numismatics! :ninja:

Neat. I noticed he disses the Denver mint strikes, and rightly so, but then those coins are actually higher numerically than the better looking S mint examples. Is this more market grading on a curve?

How far back does NGC grade coins now anyway?

Depends on the country. This is their current list:

NGC world coin grading

They are very flexible, however, and have graded quite a few coins for me outside of these date ranges.

Depends on the country.  This is their current list:

NGC world coin grading

They are very flexible, however, and have graded quite a few coins for me outside of these date ranges.

Ahh, I see. Do you use them for a particular purpose?

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, I am absolutely stunned!  I'm certainly glad you found this because I had no clue at all about this (I never even received any mention from NGC that my set was even being considered, much less won an award!).  I know there is a lot of controversy on registry sets and the negative effects of them on the collector market etc, but I think they can be used as a good thingt to share our passions with other interested collectors.  It's like many other things in this world, registry sets can be used as a tool for good or ill, the choice is up to the user.  Anyhow, I am really honored that they chose to highlight my set for what it is, not a collection of points and grade numbers but a joy I love to share.

Now gpnyc, I know from what you've shown here and elsewhere that you have some truly spectacular coins, many of which I confess have caused me to violate the 10th commandment, but your signature set is amazing in its breadth and depth.  I've never had much appreciation for pre-18th century coins, but your presentation really brings them to life, not to mention the fact that I never know the gold of Venice was so pretty (this after reading so many historical accounts on the importance of that city in trade throughout the Renaissance and the worldwide acceptance of Venetian Ducats, I don't think I've ever seen a Venetian gold coin before today!).  Anyhow, congratulations on your honor as well, it's a great feeling that NGC is not so elitist as to focus on the big money collections while ignoring those of us with a true passion for numismatics!  :ninja:

Jeff,

A very sincere congrats on your winning! You are an inspiration to us newbies, and i love to read your very informative posts. keep up the good work!

Doug

Archived