CoinPeople.com

San Francisco's Special Year 1906 - 100th Annivers

willieboyd2

That is something I have always thought of doing, collecting coins from 1906 S. I have a relic from the earthquake, one of my Great Grandmothers was living in the city then and her house was destroyed but afterwards she went in and retrieved soem of her belongings so we still have a burned up watch, one which had it not been so damaged would be worth a lot of money. Too bad the story doesn't help it's value.

The grandfather of a high school friend lived in S.F. in 1906. My friend had (I'm assuming still does) a large chunk of melted coins fom the earthquake. All denominations of penny through dollar - - black, melted, twisted, but most you could read the dates and make out the designs. In the middle was a five dollar gold piece, unmarred but solidly encased in the matrix of the other coins. I still think about that hunk of silver and gold. Fascinating in its own right, even more so being a relic of the earthquake.

Oh yeah, the family had no interest in parting with it. It was depply ingrained in their family history. Seems right somehow, even if its a shame from my collectors point of view. I don't remember if any of the coins had the mint mark showing.

You left the RAREST and possibly most important coin out of that mix. The 1906s U.S.Philippine One Peso! I've had mine for around 20 yrs, and have only seen TWO others since. Neither came close to mine, and have seen probably 100+ fakes/doctored coins. I will try to post an obvious example of an 'altered" coin. Even the altered ones are bringing a premium!

Archived