CoinPeople.com

Coin collecting goals for 2006?

Dan769

Any specific goals for the coming year?

For me it's adding to this darn type set, the FUN show is in 5 days :ninja:

And I'm still up in the air about either getting a Carson City Gold or a gold Portuguese coin from the 1700 or 1800's

What are yours?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Buy a Draped Bust Large Cent in EF or better for my U.S. Type Set.

2. Buy a Draped Bust Half Cent in EF or better for my U.S. Type Set.

3. Continue adding to my British Victorian Type Set.

4. Continue adding to my British George IV Type Set.

5. Try to NOT go broke while doing #1 through #4 :ninja:

I have a couple.

1. Buy a gold coin, I'd like a French one.

2. Keep going on my type set. I'd like to have everything from 1850-Present in MS condition.

3. Send a few of my coins off to ANACS for grading.

4. Keep expanding my Morgan collection. Add buying a Carson City Morgan into that as well.

5. Stay active on Coin Peope :ninja:

Currently i have little to no interest in acquiring anything else just yet.

I haven't had a break from coins since 1998-2000 which was a coin free period, and i really feel as if my collecting ambition has finally burned out, which is a relief to me. The last 5 years were a real rollercoaster and i enjoyed them, but it's time to concentrate on other cheaper hobbies for a while and more importantly save up for my return to university in September.

Although i'll still hang around on these coin forums and chip in to numismatic discussions whenever it's appropriate (or even when it's not knowing me). :ninja:

Most of my new purchases will be upgrades, especially with older Portuguese coins. Already reduced my ancients to the ones i really like, and will reduce my gold coin collection to my top 20 favourites (i still like gold coins, but they have became an "obstacle" to my other pursuits...)

Jose :ninja:

I think this year will be not so good for my collection. Being far away from my country, far away from coin shows, far away from internet, the only chance remains the German flea markets, very poor in coins, and maybe the European Coin Convention - Numismata 2006 in March at Munich, if I won't be at work at that time. But I will buy more new albums...

Maybe I will continue picking up eurocoins from different countries (already I have more than half kilogram...)

Guest Stujoe

I am not making any specific goals this year. I end up doing the same things every year anyway regardless of the goals I set. :ninja:

Work on the main sets and buy a few coins I like that don't fit into any sets. Buy a few coin books and work on the coin websites.

The only other goal I have is to get my cents and dimes into Danscos.

I have to learn to stop buying everything that I just "want" and concentrate on working on some of my collections. I want to get my Eisenhower set into a Dansco or Intercept album; I want to purchase the silver quarters that I am missing for my Intercept album (1999-2003). I would like to get more Morgans this year, hopefully a CC one at some point in time. I may have to give up buying all the rolls and just keep up with the proof and mint sets from the Mint this year. And the Commems. And I must attend a coin show this year somewhere in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. That should keep me busy on the coin front.

:ninja:

Try to continue where I left off for '05:

1. Read books (knowing the story without the coins is sometimes better than having a coin but knowing nothing about it)

2. Continue to specialize.

There are always goals, whether they all get met is a different story. You'll have to start a thread in December to remind us all to check what we said.

My goals in no prticular order:

1. Attend as many shows as possible. This year that may be just the NY Intl, but maybe Chicago and the ANA summer show.

2. Write something else on numismatics for publication

3. Complete the ancient coin proces database, the way I like it :ninja:

4. Sell and give away all those coins I don't need. I might exempt my birth year coins since I can use those in the future.

5. Exhaustively research those coins I am keeping and each new addition

6. Buy the best coins I can afford to fit into my collection, preferably in person.

Try to continue where I left off for '05:

1. Read books (knowing the story without the coins is sometimes better than having a coin but knowing nothing about it)

2. Continue to specialize.

Ah yes books, always more books :ninja:

This is a tough one. I have actually thought about selling everything and focusing on my Saint set, but I can't bring myself to do it. I just have the feeling that this year having a bunch of silver dimes, quarters and halves in circulated rolls might be a good thing. Plus it would be a lot of work to sort and sell! In any case I might just curtail my buying, though that hasn't worked since I just bought 2 mexican libertads and $10 face in junk silver today! :ninja:

Archived