CoinPeople.com

Civil War Token

Type in "civil war coin tokens" on you search bar, that should give you plenty of places to go and find out. The strike looks great on the reverse, but real weak on the front.I have seen this on before,a union coin some are better in rareity than others, this one was one of the better coins. :ninja:

I'm not an expert on Civil War tokens, but I like a cataloging challenge. It helps keep the mind sharp. I picked up a copy of Rulau's Standard Catalog of United States Tokens 1700-1900 recently. My interest is in early aluminum tokens and medals, but I like looking through catalogs. Overkill for my needs, but a lot of fun.

Rulau includes a catalog of patriotic civil war token dies. Some dies were used on store cards, others appear in combinations without merchant names. All were apparently used in various combinations that circulated as currency. The catalog numbers for your two dies were both established originally by the Fulds.

Your liberty head side appears as if the word LIBERTY is above the head although worn. If so, it appears to be die number 45. I would call this the obverse in keeping with the large cents of the time. The reverse then would be die 350 as near as I can tell. Die 45 is common (R1) and 350 a bit less common (R2 with R9 being unique). Estimated value in the $6 to $12 range.

An expert in these tokens can probably tell you more, but I hope this is a good start.

Archived