CoinPeople.com

Reasons you collect coins

syzygy

Of these, which is your top reason to buy or collect coins?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Of these, which is your top reason to buy or collect coins?

• Beauty of coin designs.
    • Historical aspects.
    • Thrill of completing a set.
    • Pride of ownership.
    • Profit.

Oh I enjoy it ;) I understand though the poll was asking WHY do I enjoy it...and the reasons are many...in the end though...like my wife says..I probably enjoy it because there is something wrong with my brain that drives me to spend money on money ;)

Well-said. I think I share your mental condition :ninja:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I also collect comic books and that has taken a whole room in my house...compared to that, coins are small enough to be relegated to a safe and a desk with many drawers....thank god because if I had another collecting habit that takes the amount of room those comic books take she would probably leave me. I watched a show about hoarders...now I am far from being as bad as those people but I think I am a mild hoarder who concentrates his hoarding on small metal discs and picture books...:ninja:

All about the historical significance. To own a unique coin that was most likely presented to a king of one of the most powerful kingdoms of England in the 800s is something which really piques my interest.

• 3 months later...

I voted primarily for the historical aspect,but I find myself often having a problem to stay on the single path.And the reason ...because there a too many beautiful coins!So when I find something eye catching and with history,I usually will find a way to get it even if it's out of my budget! a few times I even lived for a month or so on the buckwheat and bread(with some butter) and water ;) just to get a few rare stamps(yes I also collect them too) and coins.

So when you're not a very wealthy person you automatically try not to waste any money,and that's why I would consider a profit/wealth insurance a very important part of this hobby also.Some might invest in stocks or other speculative things,but when I buy a coin,or a stamp,I'm suddenly not only enjoying the item - I'm investing in some countries cultural heritage,and if it happens if it's made of some precious metal,it adds the volatility to it.

I really got lucky at the beginning as the collector(7 years ago) when I bought Russian 5gold roubles(tsar NikolasII) for as little as 10% over the gold spot (mostly 1900-1904 dates) at that time gold was like 600-700USD an ounce,and I was buying those common date Nikolashkins (with an eagles eye precision,or I just thought that way) for $120 a piece....later on I sent them to grading agency(NGC) and I was amazed..... out of 27 coins 11 came as MS67(mostly 1902 date),7 were slabbed as ms66,two-MS65,one-ms63 and the seven ones below ms grades......I just couldn't believe it cause few years later the russian coin prices took off.... not as much affected by gold prices but as the collectible items.So after that I really understood what it means to invest in cultural heritage,when the economy starts to grow,people will usually start to have more money to spend and they will pick a new habits,or hobbies and that turns out into a great longer term investment.Because this effect is not made by some handful oil oligarchs from Moscow its the effect(mirroring) of the whole nation....maybe prices are to high at the moment....it will take a few steps back for coming years,but comparing it to the U.S. coin market I believe it's still at the very young stages,plus there a lots of more options like Brazil and China and.... fundamentally the rest of the wide world,cause U.S. seems a little bit "too dry and used up" at the moment...........sorry for my impulsive rambling,didn't mean to flood the forum at all,I just ment to say that sometimes profit isn't bad thing at all :ninja:

Archived