CoinPeople.com

syzygy's US half dollar type set

syzygy

I don't know if everyone experiences this, but I found my tastes changing about the Barbers, I started to like them a lot - especially VF+ grades.

The seateds, on the other hand, I am cooling on a bit - maybe because of all the pseudo types (arrows, motto, all combinations etc..)

Used to be blah on Franklins, but I like them a lot now too!

I have seen some proof barbers in person that are lovely. However, they are blown away by the proof seateds that I have seen. A cameo seated is a glorious thing.

Mind you, a seated lib in AG on down is a horrifying troll of a coin. Liberty looks like a melted "neighborhood watch" symbol or some deformed phantasm skulking around the opera house hoping to startle tourists. The eagle looks like roadkill that's been flattened by a steamroller.

I like a lot of the subtypes in the Seated Lib, although I don't want to collect all of them. Just the major ones.

I want to like the franklin half, i really do. But I just can't "get" into them. So many of the strikes are so-so, and the crushed gnat of an eagle orbiting the liberty bell seems silly. The kennedy half, for having essentially the same design, i like a lot better. A majestic eagle and a striking profile of Kennedy.

As it is, I think Kennedy has been on the half for long enough. For that matter, all of the dead presidents. Bring back liberty to the coinage!

As it is, I think Kennedy has been on the half for long enough.  For that matter, all of the dead presidents.   Bring back liberty to the coinage!

Where do I sign that petition? Enough with the dead presidents on our coins, let's phase them out in a dignified way.

Back on topic, that is a nice set of halves. I especially like the draped bust, it looks like it was chosen carefully- what a gorgeous design!