CoinPeople.com

Take a look at this item!

philcarver

Cool little thing !!! I'd guess a more modern die, perhaps for a comemmorative coin or medal concerning Henry IV ???

I don't think it's a die or it wouldn't be that thin. Are the devices incuse or raised ? They appear to be raised in the pics, but sometimes it's hard to tell.

The legends do appear to be backwards as they would on a die so I can understand that thinking. It's the rest of it I'm having trouble with :ninja:

These may help,I can't upload the picture,but the first pic in my gallery is an original photo.Not enhanced.Thanx for the help.It seems to have writing on the crown and the designers intials at the top.I haven't received the item yet ,so I'm going on the photo's supplied by the seller.She said she bought it from a collectors estate in north eastern U.S.

There's not much more I can offer in the way of help. If the devices are incuse then it is obviously something made for the purpose of making coins. But it's not an original die - that I would bet on. Dies at that time were rather large, not thin pieces of metal.

Perhaps when you get the item in hand you can tell us more and offer better pics.

Since it is veriled it's fair to assume that it s a posthunous piece. The challenege will be finding put how posthumous...

0x_h4102color.jpgWell I have it in hand.It's composition reminds me of lava rock.It is not metal.It is very lite and nonmagnetic.I can see traces of a substance In the incuse portrait area that are like wax and are red.It appears to be an exact likeness from the mysterious portrait of Henry IV since it shows the broach he wore on his head scarf in that portrait.The letters on the right side read( HENRICUS-IV-D-G-ANG).On the left side reads(FR-ET-IMB-REX).On the crown are the numerals IXI.Is it possible that this could be a Royal Seal,hence the red colored waxy substance?I will try to give you a better scan,but here is the portait of henry I am referring to.

I'm not anywhere near an expert on dies and that sort of thing. You mentioned there was possibly wax in it? I would guess a seal of some sort as well. Does it have anything on the reverse that might suggest there was a handle or anything attached to it?

It does not show signs of anything being attached at anitime,but most medeival seals were on cords or strings.the movies showed seals as being massive stamps.The reverse side seems to be of a fibrous metal.I do believe it is metal and not stone.Could be meteorite?It has the same composition.

Archived