CoinPeople.com

Dominican Republic

daggit

I received 4 2003 Dominican Republic notes from a co-worker today. 3 - 10 Pesos Oro and 1- 20 Pesos Oro. One of the 10 Pesos is smaller than the rest and looks like it is 60 years old and/or went through the washing machine. Question... is there known counterfeit bills of this denomination or is it just a tired note?

:ninja: Pics please, daggit!!!!

Dom.Rep. changes the note design every 2 - 4 years and the ten is a very common used note. Know that D.R. is a poor country where many peeps live in harsh conditions and that is also reflected on the notes which get damp, dirty and all wrinkled. They are usually not carried in a neat bill fold but just tugged away in a pocket together with whatever is in that pocket.

That 10 looks just plain old to me. Also, the fiber make-up of such an old note may make its long-term resiliance not as robust. (I have similar notes from South American countries that display such properties.) Just a thought, not from any specific knowledge. I have very little knowledge about banknotes.

Check out these two 5-ers. They aren't the same year - and there were some minor design changes, but the size should be the same; 'cept that it isn't. A quick measurement showed the length of the dirty 5 to be about 2 cm shorter and the width to be about 1.5 cm shorter.

These notes are do seem to 'shrink'... or 'ride down with wear' so to speak, as others have said.

Check out these two 5-ers. They aren't the same year - and there were some minor design changes, but the size should be the same; 'cept that it isn't. A quick measurement showed the length of the dirty 5 to be about 2 cm shorter and the width to be about 1.5 cm shorter.

These notes are do seem to 'shrink'... or 'ride down with wear' so to speak, as others have said.

Dave, looking at the picture, I assume that you mean a length difference of 2 mm and not 2 cm. 2 cm is almost an inch and I can't see that difference in the picture, besides, nothing would shrink that much....

Oh, and if you ever want to part from these notes, please let me know....

Dave, looking at the picture, I assume that you mean a length difference of 2 mm and not 2 cm. 2 cm is almost an inch and I can't see that difference in the picture, besides, nothing would shrink that much....

Oh, and if you ever want to part from these notes, please let me know....

Ah, yes! mm, not cm. I had trouble with typing that. I must've made the error then. Plus I don't use them too much anymore.

I don't really want to part with them as they are part of what I use as a display for the obvious benefits of collecting in the best grade one can and changes in design. I might have to make mention of the shrinkage as well... shrinkage... ok, now I'm thinking of the Seinfeld episode so I know it's time for me to stop typing.

It shrinks? ;)

It was cold! ;)

:ninja:

...and considering that 10 DOP is only worth around 30 cents, it's not a forged note.

/Matthias Diego

that's relative...

30 cents for us is not much, but in the colmado around the corner in some Dominican Republic village one can buy quite some more for RD$ 10 than one can buy for 30 cents in our area.

that's relative...

30 cents for us is not much, but in the colmado around the corner in some Dominican Republic village one can buy quite some more for RD$ 10 than one can buy for 30 cents in our area.

You're right of course, but as a some kind of expert on counterfeits (I manage a counterfeit training team within the bank where I work), I mean that a forgery of a note of such low value, it would not be anything else than a photocopied or printed copy on a regular piece of paper with significant lack of quality. Anyone, even a illiterate dominican pesant could with a closer look determine that it would be a fake - under pressure/stress, even the best could miss one fake note among others. And given that you've taken your time to question the note, taken a photograph of the notes and post a query on a internetforum, you would have noticed a counterfeit.

I've seen hundreds of good and bad counterfeits and I'm sure that you, as a note collector, could sort out most of them with a closer look.

Actually, there is only seven counterfeits I've seen that has been good - two of them are EUR200-notes and four has been Chineese 100-notes. I've also seen a real USD5-note altered to USD50.

I meant no offence - I should have explained myself better.

Best regards

/Matthias Diego

Archived