CoinPeople.com

hobo nickel giveaway,Winner is #51 [kat]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too late, I am the winner... ooops... I'll save my gloating for later, I'lll concentrate on winning first :ninja:

Not this time, Bigg Boyy!!! The Kat's stalkin' this baby--it's made me purr ever since I saw it and all of it's beautiful companion pieces. Wish I was that talented.

Kat #51 signing up!

your hobo nickel looks like it was carved by a lady who carves hobo nickel by the name of dixiebell, but i,m not 100% sure...this post is in reference to post #24...

Thanks for the ID.

I've seen modern hobo nickels of varying quality, ranging from real amateur to totally gobsmacking. I must say that the ones of yours I have seen fall into the latter category.

They take you quite some time to make I believe? Ii'm sure the people here would appreciate at least some background understanding of just what is involved (quite apart from the `artistic flair' aspect). How about a few words on that? :ninja:

Ian

Thanks for the ID.

I've seen modern hobo nickels of varying quality, ranging from  real amateur to totally gobsmacking. I must say that the ones of yours I have seen fall into the latter category.

They take you quite some time to make I believe? Ii'm sure the people here would appreciate at least some background understanding of just what is involved (quite apart from the `artistic flair' aspect). How about a few words on that?    :ninja:

Ian

my carvings take from 2 hours to 30 hours, the pattern dollar version on the morgans take about 20 hours..i do my work with a nikon microscope, which enables me to get minute detail..my tools are the same as knife and gun engravers use, in fact the school i attended on engraving consisted of knife and gun engravers...i,ve been carving hobo nickels for over 10 years and have begun to engrave gun parts, but still plan on carving 1 or 2 hobo nickels a month...the price of hobo nickels have shot up greatly the last 5 years, with some bringing up to $4,000 and probaly will reach the $6,000 to $8,000 mark within the next 2 years..[ps] the hobo nickel in this giveaway took about 6 hours to carve..

:ninja: Maybe I could put on a disguise and enter twice while nobody's lookin'... "Uh, this is an alien, take me to your leader and sign me up as being from Area 51, uh, I mean, Member #51!" ;)

Archived