Coin Returns

Kat

Do you check coin returns?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you check coin returns?

• "You betcha!"
    • Gasp, "Never!"
    • "Sometimes."

For some strange reason my family has always thought it taboo to check change/coin return slots, except when you're actually doing business with the machine. I have no idea why--that's just the way it's always been.

How about you? Are you a coin return checker?

All the time, much to my lovely wife's chagrin, and even more to her chagrin, the kids are worse than me now. But.. we have found silver dimes etc in the coinstar reject trays, wheat pennies, tokens etc. One time I walked out with over $2.00 in change.

Last week there was a $20 bill just lying lonely on the floor of the campus bookstore, so my lovely wife and I got lunch out that day.

Totally every time. I have taught my son to check them also. We check all vending machines, telephones, newspaper machines, all kids rides and video games.

Hell if there are 2 phones and someone is on one, I will walk right up and check the one not being used. Doesn't matter to me what the person on the phone thinks.

Apparently the rejection bin in the CoinStar machines can be a good place to find silver and other rejected coins as Dave pointed out. I have never done it though as I rarely see the machines.

I always do. There is a bank of 7 or 8 newpaper machines outside of my work, and I check them several times a day. Got 50c out of the USA Today machine today. I average at least $1-2 every week. I told my wife this evening when I came home with the 2 quarters that starting the 1st of the year, I am going to get a separate jar just for my "loot" and let it accumulate and see just how good I do. But, unfortunately, I have had virtually no luck with the CoinStar machine across the street inside Kroger. I did once find about 12c in grunchy crusty pennies.

Rarely. Once I was at a machine buying a ticket, and the previous guy didn't take his change. I took it, then the guy waiting in line behind me shouted to the guy who left "this guy took your money!", who then angrily demanded it back. I returned it, and wondered if it might had been a set-up to get into a fight. (I was with a friend, and nothing came of it. Had I been by myself, I wonder if the outcome may had been different.) That was one of the weirdest things to have happened to me invloving vending machines of any sort.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived