CoinPeople.com

morgan silver dollars

muskydude

hello can someone tell me if buying  1870-1890 morgan certified silver dollars in the m-64 range are a good investment . thank you

In general we focus on coins as a hobby and avoid discussions on investment. Coins, like any funding optional marketplace, are very subject to the whims of the economy. In other words - don't count on it.

My personal viewpoint is that I would not in anyway rely on slabs as a means of holding future value. Companies come and go. Reputations fall.

:ninja:

Seeing how you can get yourself in hot water giving investment advice, let me just say I buy maybe 20 Morgans a month @ about $8. each for the BV, and as traders.

My wife and I buy high grade Morgans when ever we get the opportunity. When it comes to key and semi-key dates we have to lower our standards due to extremely high costs but none the less we feel our money is very safe in the Morgan dollars but ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to get into the slabbing game. I have some very very high grade Morgans that I paid a fraction of the cost as they are all in the raw. When the time comes to sell I could always have them slabbed then but until that time I will just set on my Morgans and enjoy what I have collected. :ninja:

Seeing how you can get yourself in hot water giving investment advice, let me just say I buy maybe 20 Morgans a month @ about $8. each for the BV, and as traders.

I always liked that plan. Morgans, Peace, Frankies, whatever, as long as you're paying close to melt it's probably a good longterm deal. I'd be hesitent to do the same type thing with certified coins that are MS63. Stuff that's certified as MS63 or MS 61,61,60 today could easily end up bringing AU50 prices after a big slabbed coin shakeup. That's not a prediction - just a caution. Plus you usually pay a pretty healthy premium for the slabbing if it's PCGS or NGC or ANACs.

:ninja:

Grrr... well I don't know what to say, but it sounds like you are tempted to "invest" your money into coins. I really don't recommand it, especially if you really don't know how to handle coins.

Coins AREN'T just toys that you can just leave them somewhere in your house, dump them, neglate them, and then come back later to sell them. That is never the way to treat coins, unless you are really lazy, or you should be putting your money into precious metals coins, as in platinum, gold or palladium, or you will be wasting your money.

To let me give you an example of a copper coin that I knew, it had a value of 15,000USD but thanks to some retarded "collector" that I knew a while ago who assumed that he knew how to keep one; the value just plumped from 15,000USD down to a mere 1,000USD, and if he did keep it in right condition, it would have been worth at least 25k. Moral of the story? If you don't know what you are getting, you are going to get ripped off. Asking tips from friends wouldn't necessary be a good buy as you do have the responsiblity to handle it.

>>Not the dealers<<

If you need to ask if something is a good investment, then you probably

should do a whole lot more reading about the subject.

A good book to give you a very basic grounding in Morgan dollars

is Q. David Bowers "Red Book of Morgan Silver Dollars".

No one can give you the "stock tip of the week" as far as coins

are concerned.

Read and educate yourself and make your own decisions.

There are many good books out there.