CoinPeople.com

New Swiss banknotes for 2010

cowhodan

Is that a bar of gold on the 1000 franc note?  Pretty cool, but this means I have only 5 more years before my latest 10-franc note from the SNB becomes worthless again!

Yes, that is a gold bar. But what makes you think that your 10 fr note becomes worthless in five years? The bank note series that was issued in the mid-1970s, for example, ceased to be legal tender in 2000. But you can still exchange them at any SNB branch office and get current legal tender notes for them ... until 2020.

So if we assume that the same periods of time apply to the current series (issued in the mid-1990s), they would be legal tender until 2015 or so, and you have until 2035 to change them. :ninja:

Christian

Yes, that is a gold bar. But what makes you think that your 10 fr note becomes worthless in five years? The bank note series that was issued in the mid-1970s, for example, ceased to be legal tender in 2000. But you can still exchange them at any SNB branch office and get current legal tender notes for them ... until 2020.

So if we assume that the same periods of time apply to the current series (issued in the mid-1990s), they would be legal tender until 2015 or so, and you have until 2035 to change them. :ninja:

Christian

Well, you are right in that it won't technically be "worthless" however having to mail it back to the SNB again isn't exactly an attribute of spendable currency! Besides, the note I got back from the last time I exchanged them at the SNB is brand new, so maybe I'll just hold on to it for collector value.

Archived