CoinPeople.com

Anyone giving out coin related gifts?

Tiffibunny

For "insert holiday you celebrate here"?

For my Mother, she gets 2 gold coins for Christmas and a few errors in her stocking.

Some think Canada has gone over the top with the colorized "hockey" quarters, but... I have 2 hockey fans who will absolutely love them and they will get them. :ninja:

What coin related items are you giving?

The only coin related gifts I give are to a few friends who are collectors. My kids have no interest at all and would only look for the fastest way to sell whatever the gift was.

What coin related items are you giving?

The kids are too small and I know the rest of the family isn't that into coins. Someday I should get my dad a nice Hamburg piece but this year the only coin gift will be the one I get for myself :ninja:

Of course!

Unlike years past where my abundance allowed greater generosity, this year's cycle must be modest. So, please forgive me for telling you -- rather than giving you -- a UK £1 note with Sir Isaac Newton on it, inside a Newtonmas Card.

(If you read the Wikipedia on Sir Isaac Newton, you will see my addition on "Newton versus the Counterfeiters." Also, there is a linked discussion of "Newtonmas." I claim to have invented it, but others posted first.)

I got seven uncirculated notes from two dealers and I designed my own Newtonmas cards to give them out.

Also, yesterday, I put ten Mercury Dimes in paper coin envelopes and gave them out to faculty and staff while on patrol during the day.

One young woman got two Buffalo Nickels because I gave her co-worker a Merc and I wanted them to have something different. Also, one of the work-study kids went off to the Univeristy of Michigan to major in philosophy, so I gave her a Democritus 1-drachma coin from modern Greece.

And for a friend of mine who is a science teacher, I ordered from Amazon Stamping Through Mathematics by Robin J. Wilson -- I know, it is stamps, not coins, but hang on -- and ahead of the book, I sent her a Newtonmas card with some mathematician stamps in a glassine. One of those stamps was from Greece c. 1930, honoring a coin with Pythagoras on it. (BMC Ionia Samos 237).

I just picked up these three well-travelled soldiers from the bottom bin at a coin store today. I have a lunch coming up with three buds and I figured they would make a nice holiday gift. None of them are collectors, but I am hoping they will like them - maybe just as 'pocket pieces'. At less than $9 a piece, they beat a lot of the usual holiday stuff.

905875.jpg

905874.jpg

905873.jpg

Archived