CoinPeople.com

Question about a Nickle

Dads Stuff

This nickle was in a plastic flip and had a paper holder as well. The paper holder is labeled 1942P Nickle TYPE 2.

First Question: Is there a type 2? I saw nothing notated in the Red Book.

Second Question: There is a chalky coating on the coin. Is is PVC? Can it be removed? I think there is a nice, shiny coin under that film.

1942Pobv_B101.JPG1942Prev_B101.JPG

Thanks,

Linda

I've never heard it called a type 2, but in 1942 there were normal nickels from Philadelphia (no mintmark) and then they switched to the silver composition later in the year, resulting in the 1942-P nickel (large P,D or S mintmarks above the dome of Monticello). Yours is a silver war nickel. As for the white gunk, I have no idea what it is, though PVC should have more of a greenish tint.

Good advice from everyone. :ninja:

Not counting errors or the normal die varieties, there were seven different types of nickels minted in 1942.

The "no mintmark", the "no mintmark proof, the 1942-D, the '42-P, the '42-P proof, the '42-S (large mintmark above Monticello) and the '42-S (small mintmark beside Monticello).

And I agree with the others, don't "shine" your coin.

It looks like a beautiful almost uncirculated example.

It'd be a shame to ruin it.