CoinPeople.com

New common sides for euro coins

tabbs

Ever wondered why the euro coins show only 15 of the 25 member states of the European Union? Well, that is about to change.

The European Union has 25 members (since May 2004) but the "maps" on the euro and cent coins still show the "EU-15". So a couple of months ago the Council decided that the designs of the common sides should be updated. Makes sense particularly since in 2007 the first of the new member states plan to introduce the euro.

However, at about that time the EU will most probably get two new members (Bulgaria and Romania). And then, new maps again? The Commission and Council opted for a geographic map instead, which shows all (well, most) of Europe. The draft designs can be found here:

http://www.europa.eu/comm/economy_finance/...545final_en.pdf

See page 16 for some planned new national sides, and page 17 for the planned common sides. In my opinion, the 1, 2 and 5 cent coins should be modified too: They show a "half globe", but with the EU-15 highlighted. We'll see what happens with them. In any case, the first coins to have that new map will probably be the ones issued in 2007 ...

Christian

Uh, it's been that way on the notes all the time ... Sure, some totally different design/s would have been another option. But I think the general consensus was to not "drastically" modify the current designs.

Christian

Yep ... though I think that these designs are not actually final yet. The fact that Iceland and Turkey are not shown is not that grave, I think (the design can still be modified again in 10-15 years :ninja: ). But according to the draft image, the "Nordic Gold" pieces would not even show Cyprus. Hmm.

Christian

Yep ... though I think that these designs are not actually final yet. The fact that Iceland and Turkey are not shown is not that grave, I think (the design can still be modified again in 10-15 years :ninja: ). But according to the draft image, the "Nordic Gold" pieces would not even show Cyprus. Hmm.

Christian

In the current socio-political climate in Europe, Turkey has the chance of an ice cube in hell of getting into the EU.

In the current socio-political climate in Europe, Turkey has the chance of an ice cube in hell of getting into the EU.

Oh well, once the EU has been turned into a loose economic area or mere trade zone which some in and outside the Union aim at, Turkey's membership should not be a problem anyway. :ninja: But what do such mid or long term considerations have to do with current decisions about coin designs?

Christian

Oh well, once the EU has been turned into a loose economic area or mere trade zone which some in and outside the Union aim at, Turkey's membership should not be a problem anyway. ;) But what do such mid or long term considerations have to do with current decisions about coin designs?

Christian

Interesting observation, it seemed as though when the EU introduced the unified currency etc, that everything might go on track for even more integration, but it appears as though cooler heads prevailed and nobody is in such a hurry for greater integration now. Events in France in the last couple of months are telling of cracks in the system, especially in particular countries.

BTW, North America now claims Iceland as our own Eastern extension, so no, Europe better not put them on coins. :ninja:

it appears as though cooler heads prevailed and nobody is in such a hurry for greater integration now.

Such as the British government which currently, believe it or not, has the EU Presidency. Guess they adhere to the policy of "doing nothing is the best thing to do" when it comes to the EU. A six-month period of inertia will finally be over on 31 Dec, and the Austrian presidency is then about to inherit the budget problems. In general, smaller member states have been better at trying to find compromises and solutions ... we'll see.

It did not really take the Dutch and French votes against the constitutional treaty to demonstrate that a political union of 25 member states will not work with the current framework. The treaty was an attempt to adapt that framework to the continous enlargements, and since two countries voted against it, that attempt failed despite the member states that voted for it. We should instead focus on building a political union among and with with those countries that actually want one. The others could then limit their cooperation to a customs union maybe (of which Turkey is already a member in most regards anyway) or whatever they want.

BTW, North America now claims Iceland as our own Eastern extension, so no, Europe better not put them on coins.

Ha, but we were clever enough to put Iceland on our notes! Even "better", we placed it right north of Ireland ... :ninja:

Christian

And to take this back to coins ... I just got a reply in another forum that Cyprus is actually depicted on the 10 (and 20, 50) ct coin designs. If you enlarge the image in the PDF file, you can see Crete and, a little further south (for space reasons?), there is Cyprus. Heureka! :ninja:

Christian

• 5 months later...

The Finnish Mint has just announced that as from 2007 the euro circulation coins from Finland will show the new map of Europe on the common sides, which the EU agreed upon last year. At the same time, some denominations will be redesigned to comply with the European Council and Commission conclusions. That is, they will probably have the country name (full or abbreviated) on the national side.

Austria seems to take a step-by-step approach: In 2007 only the €2 coin will have an updated design. According to the EU conclusions, the face value is not to be repeated on the country specific sides of the Austrian coins, and a country name (as above) should be added.

http://www.nachrichten.at/apanews/apaw/447764

(German, about AT and FI)

http://newsroom.finland.fi/stt/showarticle...1&group=General

(English, about FI only)

18-21-neue-euros11.jpg

Christian

So there will be the pre-geomap euros (those with the 15 countries) and the geomap euros -- so two type sets for each country. It should add to the collector interest. I like the new map.

Austria seems to take a step-by-step approach: In 2007 only the €2 coin will have an updated design.

Christian

Do I smell "mule" coins being discovered??? Anyone wanna bet that somehow some 2007s with the old common-side design manage to find their way to the market??

Do I smell "mule" coins being discovered???  Anyone wanna bet that somehow some 2007s with the old common-side design manage to find their way to the market??

That would certainly make for an exciting Euro-search.

It is up to every euro country to determine when it switches to the new designs. I don't think that we will see euro and cent coins with the updated map this year; and in 2007 it will be a mix of "old" and "new", I guess. Even if some countries (Finland and, of course, Slovenia) issue their 2007 pieces with the new designs only, others may first use the old design.

Now if a euro country switches some time in the middle of 2007, thus producing both varieties in the same year, that may get expensive for collectors who want every year and type ...

Christian

Archived