CoinPeople.com

1980-S Lincoln Double?

Art

Hey Lincoln officianados, is there a 1980-S Lincoln with a doubling on the date or perhaps just an S/S?

My eyes are not feeling well tonight so I can't study this too closely yet. But I have a 1980S Lincoln beautiful deep cameo and it really appears that theres doubling/repunching of the S.

Pics maybe tomorrow night.

It doesn't say much about proofs.  It could just be a filled S style MM, my 1980 oroof is that way.

Could be. I had six beautiful red pf6x lincolns from 1980 on my desk. The interesting part is that the one that appears to have the s/s the s is clear and not filled. I have another with a clear s but no appearance of doubling. The others are all filled.

My eyes are suffering from allergies tonight. I'll check again tomorrow. Thank you for looking. I wonder if anyone will be interested in it if it is an s/s?

Thanks again.

I fooled around with photographing it today - nothing usable. It really looks like a doubled S to me. Checked it a few times today. Pics soon.

Beware of strike doubling. Especially on proofs. Because of the extreme mirror finish on modern proofs, you can sometimes see an image that isn't there (studied several on many diff occasions thinking I had something to only be fooled by my own wants and reflections). LOL But strike doubling can be VERY decieving on proof coins as well due to some proofs having a low profile so to speak. I have a 1971-S that you would swear it is a doubled ie, until you look at one part of the coin and then the realization of strike doubling comes into effect. I still keep it, thinking I guess that the doubled die fairies will fix it for me. LMAO As for an 1980-S RPM I am not sure. I have never heard of one before, but basically, with the way proofs are, if it doesn't have "split serifs" then the interest factor may not be there for ya.

BTW, I would have recommended the Error / Variety section for this question. Probably would have gotten a larger response.

I'm going to fool with photographing it some more. As much as I study it, I'm more convinced that it is a repunch. The date does not appear to have any doubling. I'm trying to keep the mirror finish - this one is highly mirrored - in mind and make sure I'm not just watching reflections. The doubled S appears to be in the same spot no matter which way I turn the coin. OH! for a duplex microscope.

Did you sell all those Art?

No I haven't sold any of the Lincoln Proofs. I've been messing around trying to get a decent picture of the S/S, so I haven't paid much attention to anything else with them.

Archived