CoinPeople.com

New acquisition arrived - 1818 Large Cent

AuldFartte

Well, it arrived today. Here is the latest addition to my new US Type Set that I'm starting over since I sold my old one a while ago.

This is the 1818 N-10 Variety Large Cent. It's AU in my opinion. Gotta love the die breaks. This is one of my favorite varieties of the middle dates due to the die cracks. Enjoy :ninja:

905406.jpg

Well, it arrived today. Here is the latest addition to my new US Type Set that I'm starting over since I sold my old one a while ago.

This is the 1818 N-10 Variety Large Cent. It's AU in my opinion. Gotta love the die breaks. This is one of my favorite varieties of the middle dates due to the die cracks.  Enjoy  :ninja:

Very nice piece! Can you explain a bit about the N-10 designation? What is the resource for describing and cataloging these pieces? What distinctions does the N-10 have?

Very nice piece!  Can you explain a bit about the N-10 designation?  What is the resource for describing and cataloging these pieces?  What distinctions does the N-10 have?

I'll give it my best shot :ninja:

The source for the original variety designation was a guy named Howard Newcomb. He was an avid collector of Large Cents, as was Sheldon. Sheldon attributed the Large Cents from 1793 through 1814 by giving them a number based on die pairings, obverse and reverse. His varieties all begin with "S", as in S-198 or whatever. Newcomb did the same thing for all the other Large Cents from 1816 through 1857, and gave them numbers beginning with "N" and utilizing the year as part of the designation, such as 1818 N-10. His system is better, IMO, than Sheldon's was.

A die variety is all coins struck from a given pair of dies. Several new varieties have been discovered since Newcomb wrote his books. The newest and, IMO, best reference for the middle dates (1816 - 1839) is "The Cent Book" by John Wright. It is quite simple to use the illustrations in his book to attribute the varieties of these coins.

One interesting thing about the 1818 N-10 is that it has survived in Mint State and AU in huge numbers (several thousand) as it was one of the predominant coins found in the Randall Hoard many years ago.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Archived