CoinPeople.com

Favorite coin(s)

coinmonster

As stated before, this coin is awesome, you have great taste.

I know nothing about such things, but the three legged device to me looks like a man with unusually large legs, running while helping support Pegasus at the chest. My guess is that appearances in this case can be deceiving. Do you know more about this "Triskeles" that you can share?

From altreligion.com:

"The Trinacria, a three legged design resembling a triskele, is a symbol of the Isle of Sicily. "Trincaria" means "triangular," and the three points represent the three capes of Sicily, also known as Trinacria in ancient times. "

... similar in appearance to a contemporary Corinthian Stater, and what would distinguish this piece to being from Syracuse is the small "Triskeles" or three legged device near Pegasus on the reverse.  

The triskeles is the traditional symbol of Sicily, though I confess that what is on the coin does not look like one to me. Perhaps I need to see the coin. The one character looks like a Gamma, perhaps.

The coin's imagery is a bit of propaganda because Agathokles was actually a military dictator. However, he grew up during the reign of Timoleon, who was from Corinth and who liberated Syracuse from the tyrant Dionysius II. So, the coin harkens back to that previous generation.

Obverse... reverse... it is so confusing.... on your coin, it looks like the Pegasos is the reverse, indeed. On the coins of Corinth, it is the obverse.

Be all that as it may, the coin is stunning, a heck of a nice catch. Congratulations. I like the execution, the sytle of the feathers on the wings, all in all a cool coin.

Right now, my favorite coin is the one I got today after trying to get one of these commems for many, many months.  I finally snagged it on Ebay for a great price!!

Here she is, a 1936-S Texas Commem.  Ah, life is good!!

One of the nicest commems the USA mint ever did, and one that is cited as "too busy" of a design by some. Face it, it took a lot of work to execute this design. And not so much on these open field modern commems.

Right now, my favorite coin is the one I got today after trying to get one of these commems for many, many months.  I finally snagged it on Ebay for a great price!!

Here she is, a 1936-S Texas Commem.  Ah, life is good!!

It's certainly a beautiful coin and a great example of a TX.

Archived