CoinPeople.com

650 Years Hanseatic League

tabbs

Can you go into the Post Office or a Bank and buy these at face value like the old DM coins? That was one thing I liked when I was in Germany was buying up all these silver coins to bring back as souvenirs. This is one I might like also, but don't want to pay E30 for it.

Can you go into the Post Office or a Bank and buy these at face value like the old DM coins?

Yes, the silver pieces can be had at face value. Not all the banks have them, since these collector coins are practically irrelevant for cash transactions. (That was almost the same in DM times, but now it is worse since, unlike the regular euro/cent coins and the commemorative €2 pieces, the collector coins can only be used in the issuing country.) However, all Bundesbank branch offices and many commercial banks have those €10 coins, and you pay €10 to get one. The prooflike version is a little more expensive (€15), and you have to buy it from the Numismatic Office or a dealer.

@Sir Sisu: The designer of this piece is Erich Ott (who has designed several German commems). The ship is what in German is called a Kogge - the "typical" Hanse ship. Don't think that any specific city is depicted; the press release of the Ministery of Finance just talks about "additional design elements such as man, architecture and water". The edge inscription will be "Wandel durch Handel - Von der Hanse nach Europa" (Change through trade - from the Hanse to Europe). Don't know what the star represents. And the text is probably leaning towards the right because our new federal government is leaning a little further towards the right than the old one. :ninja:

Christian

The city scene in the background could be Hamburg or Lübeck, for example, but it would actually make sense to depict a "generic" Hanse city.

@Trantor_3: Have a look at this ...

http://www.hanse.org/hanse_staedte_details...dte_id=97&lg=en

If anybody is interested in that coin, I can most probably get some. Keep in mind, though, that it will be issued in Sep-2006. So, no "orders" yet, please. :ninja:

Christian

Yup, that's the city I live ;)

All info given seems to be correct although some names have been translated a bit weird....

If anybody is interested in that coin, I can most probably get some. Keep in mind, though, that it will be issued in Sep-2006. So, no "orders" yet, please.  ;)

I am certainly interested.

I'd like to take an option on ordering one :ninja:

And according to http://www.hanse.org Turku is also a member of the "modern Hanse" ... By the way, I still don't know what that star with the eight rays represents, but it can also be found on other coins. Here is an example from Danzig, made 70 years ago:

http://imagedb.coinarchives.com/img/peus/383/05139q00.jpg

@akdrv: Be patient. Be patient. Be patient. Be patient. Be patient. Be patient. :ninja:

That series you mentioned is a little different. Beginning in February, Germany issues "state two-ers", sixteen €2 coins, one for each state. The first one in that series is Lübeck, the main Hanse city so to say, but the piece shows the "Holstentor" city gate. And in 2007, Lübeck will also be the theme of a €100 gold coin in the Unesco World Cultural Heritage series ...

Christian

Here are the other "winners" (second, third, fourth) of the design competition:

http://www.bbr.bund.de/index.html?/wettbewerbe/muenzen.htm

There were more participating artists, but these four won a prize. (Only #1 will be minted of course.) Of these four, I like the winner best. The second one would have been neat if the ship had been bigger. Of course then it would have difficult to read the names of Hanse cities in the background ...

Christian

Here are the other "winners" (second, third, fourth) of the design competition:

http://www.bbr.bund.de/index.html?/wettbewerbe/muenzen.htm

There were more participating artists, but these four won a prize. (Only #1 will be minted of course.) Of these four, I like the winner best. The second one would have been neat if the ship had been bigger. Of course then it would have difficult to read the names of Hanse cities in the background ...

Christian

I really like the second design - the ship with city names. All four, however, are excellent designs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
btw: we have our own coin in Bolsward:

892955.jpg

It's legal tender in Bolsward and worth one glass of pop or beer in the local establishments. There's two varietes , one minted in 1995 and one in 2000

see also: http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=892955

Well, there's three varieties now....

In 2005 a new batch was struck, with the same obverse and a new reverse. I don't have a picture yet, that will follow tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

The German "Hanseatic League" coin will be issued on 7 September. Here is another picture:

910027sj_gr.jpg

Keep in mind that these design images usually come close to the proof version; the regular version that is "sold" at face value will not have that striking difference between frosted and polished areas. Anyway, if anybody is interested, leave a message here ...

Christian

Keep in mind that these design images usually come close to the proof version; the regular version that is "sold" at face value will not have that striking difference between frosted and polished areas. Anyway, if anybody is interested, leave a message here ...

Das find ich gemein, ich will auch mal ein paar 10er beschaffen können... :lol:

By the way, great design. :ninja:

Archived