CoinPeople.com

Long term ambitious collection

Sir Sisu

A while back I decided that in addition to my Finnish coin collection, my other long term collection will be for crown and crown-size coins. Though I have piked up some 19th century stuff recently, I am going to focus on the 20th first. Here is a list that I compiled of the coins that I will look to completet my set.

There are some basic definitions that I gave to what I am looking to get. Some of the samples that I have chosen do not neatly fall within these rules, but for almost all of them I worked out a reason why I feel it is justified to be in the collection that I am after. I will not explain individual cases now, but if someone is curious about a particular inclusion, feel free to ask.

The general definitions:

-Business strikes i.e. non-proof/proof-like

-silver

-minimum 20g

-in general I avoided commems dating after the 1960s, when silver was no longer used in circulating coins

-MAIN types included; types with very minor design changes were often bulked together

The list is organized alphabetically and them by Krause #. There are some "AND"s & "OR"s for some where I have bulked types together. The grades listed are the ranges that I hope to get them in. I may have to adjust these when I confront actual prices. I used the Krause prices as a rough starting guide. For example an "XF-UNC" means that for a certain date I may have to settle for an XF, whereas a different date in the series might be affordable in UNC.

The indented red ones listed I already have.

When I complete this someday, I will move on to the 19th century. :ninja:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me know if i can help you... ;)

There's a couple of dealers over here that usually sell silver coins below melt, i'll check them out (its a real pity that i didn't knew your want list a month ago, Iceland, Equador and some other countries would be a done deal).

Warning: Shameless self-promotion ahead:

BTW, altough not UNC there's a cheap New Hebrides coin on Auctionmonster.net right now. :ninja:

Good luck!!!

Jose ;)

Let me know if i can help you...  ;)

Please feel free to help if you can. Especially with the Portugal pieces. :D That is one of the reasons why I posted it.

There's a couple of dealers over here that usually sell silver coins below melt, i'll check them out (its a real pity that i didn't knew your want list a month ago, Iceland, Equador and some other countries would be a done deal).

Too bad. :lol:

BTW, altough not UNC there's a cheap New Hebrides coin on Auctionmonster.net right now. :ninja:

Good luck!!!

Jose :cry:

Thanks for the hint. But as that is one coin that I should be able to afford as UNC, I will wait. ;)

:ninja: I am ambitiously collecting members to participate in our Christmas Secret Gift Exchange.

Get more details and sign up right away in the General Discussion Forum!!!

See Tiffibunny if you don't have access to the Community Forums.

Thanks!

Back to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress...

"I think i saw a pussy cat,..." :ninja:

"..., I did, i did saw a pussycat" ;)

I'll make a "market study" over here and will PM you with the prices so you can choose where its cheaper (I'm almost sure the 1910-14 escudo is cheaper on Ebay...), on the other hand the 1953 its our "unofficial" silver bullion coin.

BTW, the 2000 Reis Brazilian coins are very hard to find in UNC, i'ge got the older Pedro II silver coins in UNC, but these two "2000 Reis" coins in VF/XF only...

Jose ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have been working on this project and have picked up numerous coins towards this. Here is a small sample of what I have acquired in the past week:

cache.jpg

Below is a link to individual pics of the coins. Sorry, but most are blurry as I took these very quickly. Also, I accidentally resized the Morgan smaller than the rest.

slideshow

I will try and post better pics when I can.

how you gunna store those, Sir, looks like capsules would be a nice way to store that, in Lindner drawers :ninja:

Yes, I do intend the air-tite capsules, but specifically with the outer black ring: I can hopefully have uniform diameter capsules, plus the black will highlight the silver well. I am hoping (fingers crossed) at some point to get some assistance from across the pond with ordering these. I went up to the check-out on these at Brent-Kruger and the shipping charges to Finland were astronomical! The minimum charge is $20+! They use Global Express rather than Global Priority.

I am hoping (fingers crossed) at some point to get some assistance from across the pond with ordering these. I went up to the check-out on these at Brent-Kruger and the shipping charges to Finland were astronomical! The minimum charge is $20+! They use Global Express rather than Global Priority.

Always at your service, Sir. :ninja:

Below is a link to individual pics of the coins. Sorry, but most are blurry as I took these very quickly. Also, I accidentally resized the Morgan smaller than the rest.

slideshow

I will try and post better pics when I can.

I updated the slide show with what I hope are sharper pictures. Plus I added a couple of other coins from the set that I have already had. Will try and add some more later.

Archived