CoinPeople.com

Milking it for all it's worth...

Guest Stujoe

Anything for a buck, the american way!

I was just looking at some Standing Liberty Quarters last night and thinking, why cant we go back do designs instead of deceased people. And change the design after roughly 25 years.

Yeah that is right, back to the SLQ with the Type 1 Variety, would look really nice on the $10 Silver Eagle, 1oz of fine silver.

Come on guys you are not looking at the bigger picture. The Mint intends to strike 24K gold bullion coins starting next year to compete with other countries who are doing the same. Well, bluntly put, they have to come up with a design that will be, lets say, politically correct and they didn't have time to pull that part of it off in 2005. Enter the one year buffalo in gold bullion. If the nickel is any indication, or the 2001 Buffalo Silver Commemorative or the prices on the old classic by Frazier how in the world could they pass this opportunity up! The first year of production will be a huge success, so someone at the Mint can say, "I told you so!" and no one in the world will be offended by our buffalo and the Mint now has gained another year to deliver a "must have" design to the investors and collectors of the world. Now, as a collector with my eyes wide open, I don't care if they put an outhouse on the obverse and a roll of toilet paper on the reverse as long as it is a ONE YEAR design! And the fact that it is gold is just icing on the cake! We seldom stumble upon a winner in this country and the odds of these coins being struck in huge numbers are slim and the fact they are the FIRST pure gold 24K ever issued by the U.S. and, as I said, a ONE YEAR issue will protect mine and your investment pretty soundly. Feel free to ridicule me in any way shape or form after, lets say, 2007 as none of you will be crying then UNLESS you didn't buy them. It is also my understanding, and I could be wrong, the Mint intends to do a 1/10 ounce, 1/4 ounce, 1/2 ounce and a full ounce coin so we will find out shortly or early in 2006! Think about it!

Are you sure it will be a one year type? I think the legislation says it 'the Secretary may' change it after the first year, not that he or she has to change it. Unless I misread something. Governmental Inertia might take hold especially if it is successful and it may be the design for a long time.

Either way, it is probably out of my budget but I hope some people do make some money off of it.

The only reason the Mint jumped on the buffalo/Indian design was they were absolutely certain they could NOT come up with a new design in the time alotted! There will be a new design as the Mint is fully aware that collectors every where will WANT anything new the first year. If they were really savy businessmen/women they would go back to Congress and ask to change the design EVERY year. A whole new series in gold but dead Presidents wives isn't going to be a winner in any way, shape or form. This is the most disgusting series I have ever seen proposed in my life and the fact it got approved is beyond me. For the most part the first ladies, who were NOT elected, were there due to circumstances and MOST of them stayed out of politics while there. Lets just say throughout history most of them realized their respective position and why they were spending a few years in Washinton. Most Americans couldn't give you the names of more than a half dozen first ladies and, if they could, they would be the last 30 to 40 years. I would be just as upset if they had decided to do them on our cent coins but GOLD? What a joke!

Note that it will be a $20 bullion coin, not a double eagle.  This means the gold buffalo would be a 1/5 ounce gold content coin (larger than 1/5 ounce if they maintain the 91.67% pure alloy currently in use on gold eagles) which would be roughly the diameter of a nickel.

The Gold buffalo is the .999 fine 1oz. bullion coin that will be introduced to compete on the world market with the MapleLeaf, Rand,Panda, etc.

It will sell at the price of gold plus a small premimum. The $20 face value is just to make it U.S. coin.

I seem to recall everyone on the board was all excited when the mint stated its plans to do this back in the spring.

Other purposes?

seigniorage.

when i wrote to protest her support for the presidential dollars bill, her office wrote back and basically said "but think of the seigniorage we won't realize ... we can't afford *not* to do these" ...

Archived