CoinPeople.com

A year without Zincolns?

Guest Stujoe

To bad it doesnt say "the exact design"... a year without memorials would make me do a backflip

-Bobby

It will be a year without the memorial, hopefully, and maybe the end forever! And the obv is maybe going back to the original too.

Title III: Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial 1-Cent Coin Redesign - (Sec. 302) Directs the Secretary to issue 1-cent coins during the year 2009, whose obverse design continues to bear the Victor David Brenner likeness of President Abraham Lincoln, and whose reverse design bears four different designs, each representing a different aspect of Lincoln's life.

(Sec. 303) Requires the reverse of the 1-cent coins issued after December 31, 2009, to bear an image emblematic of President Lincoln's preservation of the United States of America as a single and united country.

(Sec. 304) Directs the Secretary to issue 1-cent coins during 2009 with the exact metallic content as the 1-cent coin contained in 1909.

(Sec. 305) Expresses the sense of the Congress that the original Victor David Brenner design for the 1-cent coin was a dramatic departure from previous American coinage that should be reproduced, using the original form and relief of the likeness of Abraham Lincoln, on the 1-cent coins issued in 2009.

"using the original form and relief of the likeness of Abraham Lincoln, on the 1-cent coins issued in 2009."

Ohhh! Didn't notice that before!! Nice!

Still, I would like some change that didn't involve, um, more of the same

I just read the legislation that actually passed the Senate and it looks like the original compostion will only be for 'Numismatic Purposes'. I knew it was too good to be true. :ninja:

I just read the legislation that actually passed the Senate and it looks like the original compostion will only be for 'Numismatic Purposes'. I knew it was too good to be true. :ninja:

That is what I originally read. There will be zincolns in 09, and of flat relief though the reverse will likely be different and I believe it would be the start of the third reverse on the Lincoln cent. Though I don't believe the copper cents would be included in mint/proof sets as I think they would likely put them in a separate set to maximize revenues.

You know, speaking as a consumer, rather than a coin collector.... I'd be pretty happy to see all pennies just go the way of the dodo after 2009. These coins are worth less and less every year, and they end up just piling up in change jars and under couch cushions around the country. At some point their cost has got to outweigh their value.

You know, speaking as a consumer, rather than a coin collector.... I'd be pretty happy to see all pennies just go the way of the dodo after 2009. These coins are worth less and less every year, and they end up just piling up in change jars and under couch cushions around the country. At some point their cost has got to outweigh their value.

I agree but as soon as you start talking rounding, people tend to go off the deep end. When I was stationed in Korea, the BX did away with cents and rounded the final transaction to the nearest nickel on cash transactions. It didn't bother me in the least.

That is it, I think I just might give up on trying to have a date/mintmark/production type collection of US coins and just go for a "type" collection for 2000 and beyond. Too much stuff to keep up with and too difficult/expensive to do it from abroad. I'd rather have my money going towards more appealing coins that are 100+ years of age.

Too bad we can't be rid of the Lincoln portrait and keep the cent. Keeping the cent would be feasible if we went back to real money and abolished the Fed, but it probably won't happen in my lifetime.

In these PC times, we couldn't go back to the IHC design (beautiful though it is), but the flying eagle would be a pleasant change from the stern visage of Massa Abe. I've always despised that image on the cent and on the $5 note. Not only is he the butt-ugliest human to ever grace a coin, he was a monster in real life as well, despite the mythos invented for him post mortem to cover his crimes.

< I agree but as soon as you start talking rounding, people tend to go off the deep end. When I was stationed in Korea, the BX did away with cents and rounded the final transaction to the nearest nickel on cash transactions. It didn't bother me in the least. >

The problem is the talking about it. If you just DO it there will be a big squack the first week, a much lesser one the second week, a rolling mumble by the end of the month, acceptance by the end of te second month. And if at the end of the fourth month you talked about the possibility of returning to using the cent you would see people go off the deep end again squawking against it.

The problem is the talking about it.  If you just DO it there will be a big squack the first week, a much lesser one the second week, a rolling mumble by the end of the month, acceptance by the end of te second month.  And if at the end of the fourth month you talked about the possibility of returning to using the cent you would see people go off the deep end again squawking against it.

:ninja: That is so true and that is how it worked in Korea when I was there too! They didn't poll us on whether we thought it was a good idea. We just read about it in the paper and that was that. ;)

People just don't think. You would round down as often as round up. Cash registers do it now with sales tax.

The real losers if the cent goes would be charities. Lots af pennies go into those fountains and kettles.

True about the rounding. And, you don't have to round for electronic transactions at all.

And, maybe people would start throwing nickels in those fountains and kettles. :ninja:

Archived