CoinPeople.com

Who's going to buy a president dollar coin Dansco?

Dockwalliper

I would just get a cheap folder BUT, my prediction on the Presidental dollars is that there will be a lare coinage the first year for Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and Madison, possibly a much lower mintage on the second year presidents and then for the third year and beyond they will only be available by the roll from the Mint. I say possibly for the second year because they may have already given up by then and gone to rolls only.

Since these will certainly wind up being rolls only non-circulating coins I wouldn't put them into just a cheap folder.

By the way, the first year coins which will actually be struck for circulation won't be available either. because the banks will not order them or distribute them. If they DO get a shipment of one they will not order the next one because they will still have plenty of the first one still on hand. I can't understand what makes the congress think that if they change the designs on a coin that no one sees it will make them circulate.

I can't understand what makes the congress think that if they change the designs on a coin that no one sees it will make them circulate.

One definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing over and over again and somehow expecting a different result.

The only way to get the dollar coin to circulate is to eliminate the dollar bill or pass legislation requiring all businesses to start using the coin in place of the dollar bill (and even that one is iffy). But, those are basically the only options. Until then, business won't use it and banks won't stock it so people will never see it...no matter how many times we issue a different design. By doing these programs and promotions (like Walmart and Cheerios) all they are doing is encouraging hoarding and selling not spending.

By doing these programs and promotions (like Walmart and Cheerios) all they are doing is encouraging hoarding and selling not spending.

I think that's the result they want. After all, there's no demand for new coinage, the banks are swimming in excess coins. This is just a means of increasing the money supply for the purpose of inflation. Did you read that Bernanke announced that the Fed will no longer collate M3 data ?

Hyperinflation looms. Soon enough we'll be discussing the release of the $10,000 aluminum coin which will replace the Zincoln as the smallest unit of US money. I wish I was kidding.

You know I've heard so many people question what the Mint is doing in issuing SACs and Kennedys in rolls only for collectors when they'll never circulate. Well, here's my theory of what they're doing. Hoarding of coins like that is good for the government. They sell them not only far above production cost but far above face value. A nice profit. Then the coins are put away and never spent - so they are introduced into "circulation" in the sense of being part of the money supply, but they never trade and so there is no redemption in goods. No inflation attached to these puppies. Heck, what a deal.

The bill says No promos or programs this time.

That is at least good news in one area. But, because they are special, limited time, program in themselves, there will be built in numismatic hype and promos both by the mint and by the secondary market. And, I can almost guarentee that you will see a lot of news articles and gov't press releases talking about this special program.

< How do you think Dansco will handle the last page of the album?

Only dead presidents will be included so we don't know exactly how many and what order the coins will be in. >

Check the legislation again. Living EX-Presidents will get their coins immediately and in the order in which they served. It is only the CURRENT President when they get to him that won't get his coin. I suppose they will produce his coin during the year after he leaves office.

< How do you think Dansco will handle the last page of the album?

Only dead presidents will be included so we don't know exactly how many and what order the coins will be in. >

Check the legislation again.  Living EX-Presidents will get their coins immediately and in the order in which they served.  It is only the CURRENT President when they get to him that won't get his coin.  I suppose they will produce his coin during the year after he leaves office.

Condor, Your reading the bill as it was introduced to the house 2 years ago. The Senate version said no living pres. and the bill that passed the house last spring went along. From the bill....

(E) LIMITATION IN SERIES TO DECEASED PRESIDENTS

No coin issued under this sub-section may bear the image of a living former or current President, or of any deceased former President during the 2-year period following the date of the death of that President.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like your not the only one that didn't know that.

Looks like Rep. Maloney(D, NY) didn't read the bill she voted to pass on Dec. 13th.

From the congressional record.....

"As our earlier vote reflects, this is an idea that we can all agree on. The Presidential dollar coin will begin in January of 2007 with the issuance of the George Washington dollar and continue at the rate of four Presidents a year until all Presidents who have completed their term of office have been honored, including President Bush and at least one successor."

• 1 year later...

I just ordered the Lighthouse Presidential Dollars album for P&D coins. I saw this album at FUN and it is really neat. CoinWorld had it for a great price.

Lighthouse Dollar Album

I bought several P&D Dansco albums and gave them all away as gifts. I still hadn't decided if I would collect the proofs or not and I also didn't care for the Left wing comments in the President bios. I looked at the Lighthouse albums about a month ago, thought it might be a good alternative. The price is right.

http://www.lighthouse.us/epages/lighthouse...71bc0a801620645

I like their Statehood Quarter album as well. I think these might make nice coffee table books vs. just collection books.

• 3 weeks later...

We have started two Dansco Albums of the Presidents Dollars, and are going to buy two more, but these will have a space for the proofs also.

We also bought six plastic holders for the first four Presidential Dollars, to give to our grandkids.

Not me. I'd as soon collect plastic pop bottles as to fool with any of that politician worshipping crap. My rule of thumb for coin collecting is that if it has no intrinsic value, I'm not interested in it.

HMMMM. Plastic pop bottles. Not a bad idea. Much better than those stupid coins.

Archived