• AU-55
    • AU-58
    • MS-60
    • MS-61
    • MS-62
    • MS-63
    • MS-64
    • MS-65

Picked this up at a coin show this morning. It really caught my eye because of the luster. Reverse is AWESOME. Very bright white on the reverse, obverse is still really bright as well.

I apologize for the scans. The coin is all white, not grey like the scan shows. Don't worry about the difference in color. Scanner had trouble because of how shiney the coin is. It did capture a few very minor marks that are very hard to see with the naked eye.

Morgan3.jpg

Morgan2.jpg

wow that's a really had coin to grade from that scan

Yeah I know. For some reason it just won't scan it right. Like I said, the marks you see are see you are on the coin. No hiding that. Luster is there even though it isn't shown.

The scan makes this one difficult as well as the fact the New Orleans Morgans so often have weak strikes, which is what I think is going on in the hair. I have an 01-O in 63 and an 03-O in 62, and this one looks a lot more like my 03, hence I voted MS-62.

Sounds great. I put it between 61-63. I'll try to use my dad's camera this week and see what it can do. May be able to capture the luster better.

For $21, I think I got a good deal :ninja:

Sounds great. I put it between 61-63. I'll try to use my dad's camera this week and see what it can do. May be able to capture the luster better.

For $21, I think I got a good deal :ninja:

For $21 I think you got a great deal, I would have paid more. I like my Morgans with nice clean unblemished fields, I would almost rather they have very slight wear than bagmarks in the fields.

Same here. I like the fields to be as mark free as possible. Obverse has one here and there, they are mainly concentrated on the face. Reverse has one blemish right above the eagle's head. Hard to see in hand.

Next month I'm taking it to a coin show and having it checked over by a few people to make sure it hasn't been cleaned. There is a little "haze" around some of the stars, not sure if that means it has been cleaned or not.

Try using a piece of thin wax paper between the scanner and the coin. I have heard somehow in the past that this actually helps. I don't know though I have never used that method. Very nice looking coin though.

Interesting idea. May give it a shot tonight.

From that scan you would give it that high of a grade? LMAO hahahaha.... Personally I photograph my coins. I know that everyone doesn't have that capability. But it has been 10+ years since I scanned a coin, that I can't recall the most effective way to do it. I'll do a little digging around on the net and through my OLD notes to see if I have something on that subject matter.

I went with 62 because I can't tell how well the breast feathers are struc up on the pic. If it's just the lighting it could go to 64 , depending on how distracting the chatter on the lip is in person

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished taking two hours worth of pictures. Actually got a halfway decent image with detail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/burks/DSC01609.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/burks/DSC01615.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/burks/DSC016231.jpg

Best I could get. Any closer or with more light and the image blurred.

Archived