CoinPeople.com

repeat on unknown coins-

philcarver

I'm sorry I must not have made myself clear enough.The coins I'm seeking identification on are listed in my album as Spain 1565 and spain 1578.The reverses are listed as the same with REV.They are both copper coins.One has a lion killing a boar,and on the rev side has a conquestador with a small child.The other has a ship with a woman.Sorry Phil P.S. Thanks for the welcome,Tiffibunny.

They look like tokens to me. No rulers are mentioned and no denomination. The first states Dispel the Turks, the second soemthing about your one and only great God. Interesting stuff exonumia or not.

Thanks for the help.I went to my latin dictionary and got a crude translation.

Fugato:to command to leave.Turca:Turks-Reverse side: Melita:Sweet Liberata:freedom History of the Turks ,In 1535 Charles the 5th drove the turks out of hungary and retook northern italy from the french.In 1579 the turkish empire was crumbling.The other coin reads A great gift from only God ( Magna facis solus Deus) The other side reads (To prove a promise made to himself).I believe these were made to commemorate the liberation of Europe from the turks and the French rule.Thanks phil

They look to me to be typical of copper jetons that were used mainly in Spain, France and the Netherlands at that point in time. I'm afraid that I know less about Spanish jetons than I do about spanish coins, and that is precious little. However, they would not have had any monetary value other than the actual metal content. They may have changed hands for goods in a market setting however. You never know.

Jetons like these encapsulate unique bits of history. The problem is that to the viewer today they don't really give enough information on them as to the events they portray. Not sufficient enough to identify them that is. At the time they were struck it would probably be obvious to one and all. Now, after the passage of so much time and historical events, sometimes much research is needed in order to determine what they are supposed to be all about.

thanks for the help Tiffibunny. :ninja: I really love the medieval coins,but I have gotten into the olympic coins as well.My prize piece is a 1577 Henri the second of france that I had set in a gold bezel.I keep that one around my neck.I'll try to add that one to my album as well.Phil ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing the Henri II piece if you ever get a chance to scan it. :-0

Ian

I'll try to get that Henri in my album today.I also have a henri the first but not in very good quality,and with no date.

Phil

Are you sure about having one of Henri I of France? (He reigned during the years 1031 -1060). The coinage of Henri I is very rare indeed.....in any condition. If you do indeed have one, consider yourself lucky :ninja:

Ian

For whatever reason, identifying these things was driving me crazy. I spent hours searching the net, and I'm pretty good at that, trying to find anything at all. Nada ! Finally, I decided to seek help elsewhere. This was the result -

They both appear to be jetons from the Spanish Netherlands.

The first token shares a reverse with Mitchiner #2378, but I can't find the obverse die.  Mitchiner

probably missed this one.  The reverse legend "Melita Liberata" celebrates the Liberation of Malta

from the Turks in 1565 by the Knights of Malta.

The second token was issued by William I of Orange in reply to the military successes of Don John's

Spanish army.  Don John's success at Louvain in Feb 1578 caused Archduke Matthias (governor of the

Low Countries appointed by the Estates General) and William I of Orange to take refuge in Antwerp.

This token was issued by William with the David and Goliath motif (Spain represented by Goliath,

William by David) from Dodrecht in 1578.

And to think - I specialize in the Netherlands ;) At least they are jetons - had they been coins I would have had to go hide someplace :ninja:

Thanks Tiffy. I need to find out a bit more about that facility at some point. :-)

The Henri III piece is either a Franc (also known as a `livre d'argent') or a half Franc dependent upon the actual size / weight. These silver denominations were first introduced in France in 1576. There are various types each identified by the type of collar the king is wearing such as `au col rabattu, au col plat, au col fraise'. That one appears to be the `Franc au col plat'. Dated 1577, it is only the second year of issue for the denomination andprobably the first year for that type. The actual mint is determined by the letter between the H of HENRI and the X of REX (ie just immediately below the bust. I'm not sure from the scan what it is (either a B or an R). If it is B then the mint is Rouen. If it is an R then the mint is St Andre de Villeneuve , and relatively difficult to find.

These pieces are hard to find in much better general condition than the one shown, (excepting for the hole that is). It's a nice coin and worthy of a place in anyones collection.

Ian

Thanks soooooo much Tiffi,you are awesome!!!!! It's funny because I was believing the same about the david and goliathe theme,but I couldn't imagine the reason it would be used.The thing that stumped me on it was the soldier holding a primitive flintlock rifle that they wouldn't have had in David's time.I didn't think of a comparison thing.WOW !!!great work .I will put this info in my coin profile for future use.Thanks again.Phil What did you think of the Henri II and Henri III ?

Thanks Ian ,the letter below the bust is an R.Thanks for the info.Did you see the Henri II while you were in my album.It's not a great piece but before I soaked it you couldn't even tell what it was.I bought it on a hope of it turning out to be a descent.It seems to me to be a copper with spots of silver.

Archived