CoinPeople.com

two unknown coins

philcarver

How's it goin'.I was recently in Peru and picked up these two coins.They looked interesting but I can't find out what they are.They are Spanish but there's no reference to what denomination they are.They were minted shortly after the Spanish took control of Peru.Does anyone know anything about them.Please help me.Phil They are listed as Spain 1565 and Spain 1578 in my pic album.

Nice coins! That French coin is one that I want to get myself (though I am looking for the crown size 5 francs). It has a striking similarity in style to this coin from Venezuela. That is because they were both done by the same designer/engraver, Barre. His name is below the bust.

The France 2 francs is KM#807.? depending on the mintmark. 900 silver and 10g. Book value at about $10 +/- in Fine. A few million minted at each mint.

The sol is a favorite of mine too. I picked one up too not too recently. They are beautiful coins. Yours appears to be KM#196.26 (there are lots of varieties with this coin.) Also 900 silver at 25g. Book value at $6/7 from Fine/VF which I think your coin stradles.

I'm sorry I must not have made myself clear enough.The coins I'm seeking identification on are listed in my album as Spain 1565 and spain 1578.The reverses are listed as the same with REV.They are both copper coins.One has a lion killing a boar,and on the rev side has a conquestador with a small child.The other has a ship with a woman.Sorry :ninja: Phil P.S. Thanks for the welcome,Tiffibunny. ;)

Archived