CoinPeople.com

Now meet the Ugly Sister

Dads Stuff

Not only do I have Ugly and her sister Uglier. They have cousins!!!! Cinderella will be waiting in the wings for an intro soon.

1923obverse.JPG

1923reverse.JPG

Does anyone still think my dollars is where the money is in this collection?

Linda

Yikes! :ninja: What kind of holders did these come out of?

Just those little 2x2 thingies. Nasty isn't she!!! Looks like she got a little too close to a blow torch. My sister is trying to tell me that toned coins command a higher premium. If thats true, I could take a cruise with the proceeds from this one. ;)

Are they a soft, very flexible 100% plastic or are they the cardboard ones with a plastic window in them?

And, ummmm, yes, I hope she has a nice personality. :ninja:

cardboard with plastic window. That's what almost all of the dollars are in. This that the wrong thing?

Depends upon if the plastic has plasticizers in it to make it soft. That can lead to PVC damage on the coin (which I think I am seeing in the pics but can't tell for sure). If it is PVC damage and it has been on there a long time, it may have pitted the coin underneath and, even when removed, it will leave the coin damaged. When it is caught early and removed, it can leave the coin undamaged.

PVC contamination is a greenish color and the holders tend to have a slight smell like a new shower curtain. Sometimes the coin can too. That is because the same type plasticizers are in a shower curtain. :ninja: They can also seem a little slimy coming out of the holders due to the plasticizers leaking out of the plastic.

Depends upon if the plastic has plasticizers in it to make it soft. That can lead to PVC damage on the coin (which I think I am seeing in the pics but can't tell for sure). If it is PVC damage and it has been on there a long time, it may have pitted the coin underneath and, even when removed, it will leave the coin damaged. When it is caught early and removed, it can leave the coin undamaged.

PVC contamination is a greenish color and the holders tend to have a slight smell like a new shower curtain. Sometimes the coin can too. That is because the same type plasticizers are in a shower curtain. :ninja: They can also seem a little slimy coming out of the holders due to the plasticizers leaking out of the plastic.

OK, the coin holder's plastic looks and feels to me like the same wrapper that is on cigarette packages. It also looks and feels just like just like the 2x2 holders I bought earlier at a coin shop.

Is this contagious for my other coins. How do I get rid of it? I may be too late for this coin and the sister coin. But I do have some good coins, that I don't want to become contaminated if this is contagious. What do I need to do?

If it is that type of plastic that is on cig holders, it might be ok. That is a harder type of plastic. It is real hard to tell exactly what is going on with the coin. It sure looks like PVC but could just be the toning.

I wouldn't worry too much about the coins you are going to sell getting into new holders. The new owners can do that more than likely. But, anything you are going to keep, it might be a good idea to transplant them (and maybe give them a bath in acetone). Something turned those coins ugly and the first suspect is the holder and the environment they were stored in.

Take a shot at cleaning it. What do you have to lose?

Try an acetone bath first. There are a lot of posts about how to do it.

Clipboard.jpg

Is this the same coin?

Nope!!! The one with tar no longer has the tar, but it now has a shiny strip from the forehead to the back of the neck and it is more white. The "ugly sister" coin has no white. It is toned chocolate and golden. No white on the obverse.

Damn....someone had to mention that freakin Shriver dollar. I get chicken skin just thinking about that uglyness. I think that pvc damage would actually make her better looking.

I recommend you have five or six beers and that little peace dollar will look downright pretty....worked for me back in college at least.

Archived