CoinPeople.com

The I Need To Have a Cointest Contest

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I realise that the cointest is actually over, but now that i'm here i'm going to take a few shots at this anyway :

My first thought as to the earliest such conflict was between Alexander III with the natives of what we know as Bactria and India. That is `Greeks vs Indians'. These `natives' had square coinage....unless I am mistaken (?)

I also thought of the Moorish colonisation of Spain / Portugal and their eventual removal. That conflict would have been a battle between the small round silver deniers vs small square silver dirhams.

Of course, there was a Christian vs the Moors / Muslim spat went on for centuries before that as well as after. Although it went cool from time to time, it did have blazing highlights such as the fall of the Roman Empire with the taking of Constantinople, right through various crusades which saw Christian `kings' of Jerusalem.

Did i come close? :-)

Ian

OK I realise that the cointest is actually over, but now that i'm here i'm going to take a few shots at this anyway :

My first thought as to the earliest such conflict was between Alexander III with the natives of what we know as Bactria and India.  That is `Greeks vs Indians'. These `natives' had square coinage....unless I am mistaken (?)

I also thought of the Moorish colonisation of Spain / Portugal and their eventual removal. That conflict would have been a battle between the small round silver deniers vs small square silver dirhams.

Of course, there was a Christian vs the Moors / Muslim spat went on for centuries before that as well as after. Although it went cool from time to time, it did have blazing highlights such as the fall of the Roman Empire with the taking of Constantinople, right through various crusades which saw Christian `kings' of Jerusalem.

Did i come close?  :-)

Ian

WE HAVE A WINNER! Yes indeed it was the crusades and the Moors vs. the Christians. You are the proud winner of a Moorish Silver Dirham and a Crusader Denier from the East. Please PM your address if it has changed recently, otherwise just expect some goodies in the post soon.

(cough) ahm....er....unaccustomed as I am to making acceptance speeches, i'd just like to say how truly astonished yet thrilled I am to have won another one of your competitions.

I'd like to thank my mum and dad for having me, my brother for putting up with me during my early years, The Queen for having waved in my direction on at least two occasions, Margaret Thatcher for having been totally oblivious of my existence, Talisker for being there etc. etc. etc. :-)

Many thanks for having the competition, for deeming me to have won, and of course for your generosity with the prize. My addy remains as it was.

Archived