CoinPeople.com

Czechoslovakian Beauty

Scottishmoney

I like the portrait very much. There is an expression in her ambience that is mysterious to the viewer. It is suggestive of perhaps a bit of anger or disappointment, perhaps the engraver had some thoughts about the subjugation of the Czech people under the Stalinist tyranny. Who knows?

... perhaps a bit of anger or disappointment, perhaps the engraver had some thoughts about the subjugation of the Czech people ...

It seems to me that she is decked out for a festival. The trees behind her are in blossom. Maybe it is a Spring thing. More likely, she is going to be married. Perhaps that the source of her concern.

• 2 months later...
... perhaps a bit of anger or disappointment, perhaps the engraver had some thoughts about the subjugation of the Czech people ...

It seems to me that she is decked out for a festival. The trees behind her are in blossom. Maybe it is a Spring thing. More likely, she is going to be married. Perhaps that the source of her concern.

Or maybe she knows a secret (secret image, that is)

Edit - Better photo

mbk3ts.jpg

• 1 year later...
czechgirlp70.jpg

Is a beautiful note with nice pastel colour and very soothing to our eyes. The young girl in a ceremonial or festive decoration on her head make us wonder why she is a bit annoyed. Maybe she is forced to wear the flowers on her head. Is there anything happened in 1949 historically in Czechoslovakia. I know that China Communists came into power in 1949. Of course, that's nothing to do with her and her country. Maybe she just had a quarrel with her boyfriend over her side protrait in this Czech banknote. Hint : Her boyfriend was the original designer of this banknote. :ninja:

I actually did locate and purchase one of these. It is a specimen as you mentioned, but it was very inexpensive as I remember (something like $5-$7). I scanned the note and intend to frame the portrait for wall mounting (as soon as I size it properly and get around to printing).

Archived