CoinPeople.com

Microscopes for viewing really macro details!

gxseries

Perhaps someone knows a lot better than what I am talking about - I am looking for a microscope that would allow me to see more details than what I could possible see from a handlens. The only thing is that I don't know what kind of microscope I am looking for, as well as the price range it could be...

Does anyone have a clue? :ninja:

The lowest end microscopes can be had for about $10-$15. I bought one from RadioShack and also a Tasco on line (that I like a bit better). Believe it or not, these tiny little things actually work! They do invert the field so it takes some getting used to, but they get the job done for coins.

Here is a link to the little Tasco microscope

These look cool and I think I want one for xmas :ninja:

If you don't want a toy and have the money get one of these.

http://www.microscopeworld.com/misc/coin-collecting.htm

Stereo microscopes are the way to go. You can get camera adapters for the lens. If you take a lot of pictures then go for a trinocular version. Or if you're rich buy the built in digital camera version :ninja:

We've got a couple of professional stereo microscopes at work, which we use to check and repair the modern Surface Mounted Devices in the electronic equipment (well, not the components themselfs, but the solderings of them) we develop and manufacture.

One of the oculars is replaced by a TV camera, which is hooked up to a TV. I can tell from own experience that that gives very nice images of a coin :ninja:

one thing that might be overseen here : a digital camera. OK, it's not as convenient as a microscope, but with my 5 MPixel camera at macro zoom, I can get pretty good close ups of coins, which show amazing detail. True, it doesn't work as fast as a miscroscope, but if you already have a digital camera....

I have one of the QX3 microscopes and they are neat. But, they are not in the same class as the regular microscopes I have seen and used. I really don't have a use for a real microscope so the QX is fine for me.

Archived