CoinPeople.com

Sounds of coins when you "bang" them!

gxseries

I also have an 1870 Canadian half that does not sing one little bit either but it has other issues that make me fairly confident it is a fake.

:ninja: Put is close to a container of hydrochloric acid. Betcha it starts singing like a canary!

I have a Bust Half that is extremely worn and bit corroded and doesn't sing like silver at all. I have never been able to 100% convince myself it is genuine. The best verbal opinion that ANACS could give at a show a few years back was that it was probably authentic. It could just be a bad alloy or blank or something.

I also have an 1870 Canadian half that does not sing one little bit either but it has other issues that make me fairly confident it is a fake.

If you are curious you can always mail it to me and I'll do a specific gravity test. While that can't rule out some sort of lead alloy it can rule in and out silver quite often.

Not according to Coincraft, they state 2.8g for both types. I presume you have brought specific gravity into the equation? I would have thought they'd be a difference myself.

No I have brought specific gravity into it yet. My reference (Krause) shows the sterling version at 3.01 grams and the 500 fine version at 2.83 grams.

I am going to vote on it being genuine. For as bad as it looks, if it were a cast copy the denticles would be very 'blobby' looking and mushed together in a rather obvious manner. But all of them that are visible are distinctly seperated from each other. I know that is only one diagnostic but that is the one I am going with.

No I have brought specific gravity into it yet.  My reference (Krause) shows the sterling version at 3.01 grams and the 500 fine version at 2.83 grams.

Coincraft has stated that all the .925s weight exactly the same as their .500 counterparts, so it's not a typo. Maybe it's just all wrong?

Only one way to find out... except i don't have any means of actually weighing coins, never have had.

Archived