CoinPeople.com

Syracuse, Sicily Ancients Page

Scottishmoney

Syracuse coins are far lovelier. 

But keep it our secret.

True enough, so even in Scotland one can become an aesthete :ninja:

True enough, so even in Scotland one can become an aesthete  :ninja:

Actually, no-one from Scotland `becomes' an aesthete. We are all born that way.

Moving on quickly, these two aren't Syracusan but they are Sicilians. Didrachms from the city state of Gela circa 490-480 bc

Gela1and2obv.jpg

Gela1and2rev.jpg

They are not exactly in EF condition but the scan does them little justice. They are a bit more three dimensional in the flesh.

Although the one with the river god facing to the left is the poorer of the two condition wise, it is rather scarce. According to Jenkins there are only twelve known examples.

Ian

Actually, no-one from Scotland `becomes' an aesthete. We are all born that way.

:ninja: Though it'd be hard to believe that if you watched the friendly against the USA today ;)

Moving on quickly, these two aren't Syracusan but they are Sicilians. Didrachms from the city state of Gela circa 490-480 bc

They are not exactly in EF condition but the scan does them little justice. They are a bit more three dimensional in the flesh.

Although the one with the river god facing to the left is the poorer of the two condition wise, it is rather scarce. According to Jenkins there are only twelve known examples.

Ian

Sweet, one of a dozen. Was that an intentional acquisition or did you discover the rarity after you purchased the coin?

:ninja:  Though it'd be hard to believe that if you watched the friendly against the USA today ;)

Sweet, one of a dozen.  Was that an intentional acquisition or did you discover the rarity after you purchased the coin?

More and more Scots are being born with webbed feet. It's a natural evolutionary progression brought about by prolonged exposure to our damp climate. Unfortunately, this does have serious ramifications concerning the ability to kick / control a ball. However, unlike some teams, we tend to play fairly well when its raining............ ;)

As to the Gela didr. I spotted it up for sale and at first couldn't believe what I was looking at. I suspect that most people who saw it didn't know what to make of it either.... or wanted a better example. :lol:

I did my research and bought it (knowing its rarity and that it was bona fide) for the handsome sum of £65.

Ian

Archived