CoinPeople.com

How close do you ever live to a mint?

gxseries

I *used to* live in Russia and I was dumb enough not to figure out where the mints could be, or rather didn't bother to look for them as I realized Russia is not a place where it is "foreigner" friendly.

Little did I know that I lived 2 mins away from it if I used a trambus... :ninja:

I was too idiot not to take a photo of it... ;)

Afterall... it did look very "unfriendly"...

I live by NYC, closest mint is in Philly but the Federal Reserve has a large bank in NYC.

That's strange. I live in NYC area as well and the closest mint for me is West Point. :ninja:

When I lived in Jersey City, the closest mint was in Philadelphia (West Point was still a bullion depository then). I have been to the NY Fed though and even toured the vault and saw the piles of gold down there buried in the bedrock. Pretty interesting tour.

Per MapQuest...

Denver Mint:

Total Est. Time: 13 hours, 17 minutes    Total Est. Distance: 915.49 miles

Philly:

Total Est. Time: 18 hours, 40 minutes    Total Est. Distance: 1160.91 miles

Toronto might be closest to you. There's a mint there, I think.

I grew up in El Cerrito, California, which is just across the bay from San Francisco.

When I was a little kid (around 1955), my father drove me by the San Francisco mint and pointed out what the "S" on coins meant.

This was the big mint which opened in 1937 (I believe).

about two miles from the working san francisco mint (behind the social safeway), and two and a half miles from the old san francisco mint on 5th street. been to the old mint a few times when it was open to the public, never been to the new mint (it's not open for tours--the last time it was open for tours was a one-day only thing that was announced with a teeny tiny announcement in the paper).

That's funny.  The closest for you is in the US and the closest for me is in Canada.  :ninja:

;)

I've confirmed the distances:

Looked it up

San Fran Total Est. Distance: 947.97 miles

Winnipeg Total Est. Distance: 1425.89 miles

That's funny.  The closest for you is in the US and the closest for me is in Canada.  :ninja:

Winnipeg?

Archived