CoinPeople.com

Lusitania

fatboyisaac

My uncle gave me a coin commemorating the Lusitania. He told me the story behind it but I don't remember. Can anyone fill me in and how much is the coin worth if anything? It is 2 1/4 inches across and both sides are in relief. One side shows the ship sinking with "KLINE BANN WARE" around the top edge and "DER GROSSDAMPFER LUSITANIA OUROM EIN DEUTSCHES TA???BOOT VERSEK? 5 MAY 1915 across the bottom. The other side shows 4 people at the ticket window, 2 of them reading a newspaper, with a skeleton selling tickets. Around the top it says GESCHAFTVBERALLES. Across the top and down the side of the ticket window it has part of the words CUNARD LINES and under ticket window it says

PA??KARTEN AUSCABE. Across the bottom is K*G. All the writing is in German (?).

My uncle gave me a coin commemorating the Lusitania.  He told me the story behind it but I don't remember.  Can anyone fill me in and how much is the coin worth if anything?  It is 2 1/4 inches across and both sides are in relief.  One side shows the ship sinking with "KLINE BANN WARE" around the top edge and "DER GROSSDAMPFER LUSITANIA OUROM EIN DEUTSCHES TA???BOOT VERSEK? 5 MAY 1915 across the bottom.  The other side shows 4 people at the ticket window, 2 of them reading a newspaper, with a skeleton selling tickets.  Around the top it says GESCHAFTVBERALLES.  Across the top and down the side of the ticket window it has part of the words CUNARD LINES and under ticket window it says

PA??KARTEN AUSCABE.  Across the bottom is K*G.  All the writing is in German (?).

Firstly, an important distinction needs to be made. It's a medallion not a coin.

This item was produced as a satire by the medallist Goetz (others have already supplied links to a website with detail of the artist). The British government quickly took advantage of the `art' by using it to depict the callousness of the Germans in using a submarine to sink an unarmed passenger ship and the subsequent horrendous loss of innocent life. Thousands of replicas were made in iron.

The iron ones are fairly common and readily available. for circa $10 -$20. They are more valuable if they come with the original box of issue.

The bronze ones however are much more valuable. Not being a collector of these pieces I can't help you with values for these.

Check out this website though for further data concerning the Lusitania pieces.

http://www.lusitaniamedal.com/

Archived