CoinPeople.com

Did you know...

gxseries

I guess I created this topic to spice up the forum here ;)

Seems like it has been dull for a bit here and I thought of something that might be interesting.

The basic concept is this topic is that you can list any world coin, and list it's unusual or interesting or as dull as you want.

I believe I used to post a topic about largest and smallest denomination but I don't remember where it is right now.

Regardless, here is a list of what I could think and type out at the moment (p.s. I did get lazy in the middle)

Australia - Probably the only country who managed to mint kilo platinum coins but that was immediately scrapped due to rising platinum prices. Also, the denomination AUD10,000 is the highest denomination on all platinum coins...

Aussie Platinum coins URL

Also, the very country which thought of "ruining" Spanish reales and with counterstrike and overstrike, who would expect such coins to be worth so much?

Early Australian Coinage

Austria - Probably now known better for it's unusual commemorative coinage, or rather, Austria has created a world record in the largest gold coin and largest denomination value minted in the whole history.

BBC news

China - Quite a fair bit of people despise their levels of counterfeit coins coming out from this country... by now, almost everyone who has been collecting any silver crowns would have come across one such example.

England - Possibly the revolutionary and powerful country which has struck the first proof coin in the early 1600s, she most certainly was and still is the leader in global coinage. Afterall, how many countries still denote the image of Queen Elizabeth II?

Earliest Proof discussion

France - As the country name and history suggest, it is most definately a country that has caused a lot of revolution which is reflected in her coinage. From overstriking to various essais, the French most definately have fascinating coinage. In fact, they were the ones to create the terms piedfort and essais!!!

Germany - Not to be beaten by France, the Germans did have various coinage issues from different states. Most importantly, the designs varied so greatly, that one cannot disagree on how wide their designs could ever be! In fact, some of the mintmasters were so great that they were hired overseas.

Japan - Early coinage were originally from China which was the squared holed coins, or spaded coins. These were modified later and eventually, rectangular silver coins and large obtangular gold coins appeared. These sadly disappeared when modernization appeared as the foreigners exported as much precious metal as they could as their metal content was more valuable than the Mexican reals. (I believe...) Hence, this caused a desperate need of modernization and this is when modern circular coins were minted. This too affected the Korean penisular when the Japanese occupied Korea during that period of time. Sadly, the Korean mintage too had strong influences of the Japanese modernized coinage, only which the Korean coins are way too scare and more expensive.

Russia - the only idiot country to mint so many varieties of coins that it copied different ideas from various European countries. Rather, Russia did invite foreign mintmasters to help out with their productions. Not suprisingly, some of the earliest commemorative Imperial Russian coins are actually made by a German mintmaster!!!! :ninja: From the overstriking of copper coins, and copper plates to the platinum coinage, no other countries would be able to match her "copied" or techniques unless you combine the whole European coinage against the Russian alone. (Hence the European Union is there lol) Leaving the joke aside, Russia minted way too many varities, possibly to excel other major countries in almost all aspects. Afterall, Russia was the only and last country who managed to have platinum coins in circulation.

A rough idea of how ridicious if not impressive Russian coinage is given by a random stats here:

During the period of 1700-1917, approximately 4957 different coins were minted and that excludes all the possible varities, overdates.

A break down would be approximately as follows:

54 platinum,

361 gold,

1827 silver,

1796 copper

And that excludes all the other Russian foreign related territory coinage and some unique coins. Imagine if this happened in the US - that's an almost impossible collect to get hold of...

P.S. there are few more ridicious coinage during the Soviet Era and the current Russian federation. I think I will stop at here and continue at another time.

Swedish - the first country to produce excessive large copper plates from 1644 until 1776 only to be realized that it's ridiciously unpopular. These were minted because of the scarcity of silver and because the denomination had to be minted in terms of their weight, these eventually ended up to be so huge. The largest one minted was over 19.7kilogramms!!! ;) Of course, the "next" door neighbour (I know Finland is in between them), Russia decided to copy that idea too. Of course, no idiot person would even want such copper plates for a payment. Even Sac dollars would be popular if people were forced to choose between them!

Ykpa Dvi's link :D

US - (from my point of view :cry: ) Let's exclude for the fact of the awful budget made State Quarters for a moment and take a look back to the earlier coinage. The US did have great pride in minting high quality coins which could be seen in the coinage. Because of this, varities are so proudly collected and probably no other countries in the world would ever bother to go that far to collect every single varities that exist. Afterall, the world's most expensive coin to be paid for also happened to be a US coin too :lol: 1933 $20 Double Eagle - only to be found that there were 10 more of those.

Now... after a long long long long long text, hopefully this would inspirate you to write something... I hope this is entertaining enough... ;) If not, sorry to take up your time if you managed to read all the way here :D

Russia - the only idiot country to mint so many varieties of coins that it copied different ideas from various European countries. Rather, Russia did invite foreign mintmasters to help out with their productions. Not suprisingly, some of the earliest commemorative Imperial Russian coins are actually made by a German mintmaster!!!!  From the overstriking of copper coins, and copper plates to the platinum coinage, no other countries would be able to match her "copied" or techniques unless you combine the whole European coinage against the Russian alone. (Hence the European Union is there lol) Leaving the joke aside, Russia minted way too many varities, possibly to excel other major countries in almost all aspects. Afterall, Russia was the only and last country who managed to have platinum coins in circulation.

A rough idea of how ridicious if not impressive Russian coinage is given by a random stats here:

During the period of 1700-1917, approximately 4957 different coins were minted and that excludes all the possible varities, overdates.

A break down would be approximately as follows:

54 platinum,

361 gold,

1827 silver,

1796 copper

And that excludes all the other Russian foreign related territory coinage and some unique coins. Imagine if this happened in the US - that's an almost impossible collect to get hold of...

P.S. there are few more ridicious coinage during the Soviet Era and the current Russian federation. I think I will stop at here and continue at another time.

Swedish - the first country to produce excessive large copper plates from 1644 until 1776 only to be realized that it's ridiciously unpopular. These were minted because of the scarcity of silver and because the denomination had to be minted in terms of their weight, these eventually ended up to be so huge. The largest one minted was over 19.7kilogramms!!!  Of course, the "next" door neighbour (I know Finland is in between them), Russia decided to copy that idea too. Of course, no idiot person would even want such copper plates for a payment. Even Sac dollars would be popular if people were forced to choose between them!

Ykpa Dvi's link

And in the vain of including Україна Двi's lousy websites you might could add the following for the Motherland:

Сибирские Монеты

Awwww shucks gx - you went and left out the Netherlands & Venice :ninja:  How could you do such a thing :cry:

Geeeeez - the two countries with the world's longest lived coin designs, one of them still being struck today  ;)

You got me there GDJMSP, I was silent doing my "research". Feel free to troll me when you spot a single error here :lol: I just don't know too much about ancient Dutch coinage and Venetian there though :D

The Dutch were probably one of the world's best explorers and they made it as far to Asia. Afterall, the term Dutch East Indies, i.e. Indonesia were colonized by the Dutch during the late 18th century. There are coinage of Indonesia that features the Dutch... As we go to the early 19th century, or possibly earlier, the Dutch ducat were so "popular" because of their usage in Europe during that period of time, it got the Russians envied and they started to counterfeit such dukats ;)

In fact, it was said that the Russian Tsar Paul I's (1796-1801) coin design were "insipired" or more probably, a test of counterfeiting such ducats.

Link here: Paul I ruble

And *cough* I know nothing much about the Venetian coins :D

Feel free to add more in here!!! :slapping:

Archived