CoinPeople.com

Awesome Toned GSA Dollar

LostDutchman

I have to agree that they are commanding a lot of money. While that's certainly a nice coin, I'm one of the folks who would prefer a "blast white".

Guest 50cents

LD, I would take a coin w/color any day over a blast white one. That is one sweet lookin CC :ninja: . I only wish they would have kept some halves in those vaults (only 50 of each date).

What do they call them? I was at an flea market type store today and looked over and he had a bunch of those sitting in a locked cover. He let me sift through what he had, but me being really new at this I didn't know what was really worth what. I did buy a couple of buffalo nickels, a couple of nickels with a big "V" on the back, some pennies with "one cent" written on them and some really cool looking quarters. I paid five bucks for one of the quarters so I probally got ripped off I am sure but I had never seen one before. None of his stuff was in MS state. I will have go look at what I got and edit this post so ya'll will know what I am talking about.

< Awesome rainbow! I have a few toned Moragns but nothing like that. Odd that they considered them tarnished and priced them lower when the GSA sold them. >

Yes, that would have gotten put into the Mixed date CC catagory and sold for $15. If it wasn't a CC it it would have been put into a flat pack and sold for $3 in the mixed circulated group.

I love toned Morgan's. Toned over blast white any day (as long as the coin isn't toned black).

I have a few feelings about toned coins.

A lot of blast white coins from the 19th century I won't 'trust' unless I can look at them or have someone who knows more about original surfaces than I do look at them and render an opinion.

Although a lot of toned coins nowadays I'm uneasy about, especially if it is amazingly multi-colored. A coin that looks like my avatar is something I'm usually comfortable buying off of ebay, but then again someone could artificially tone a coin to look like that, also.

For me, it's always a case by case basis, and I don't generally pay extra for a toned coin. I'd pay 'less' for a blast white one if it looks strange to me.

Archived