CoinPeople.com

Elizabeth I Penny 1560-1561 Spink 2558 Mint Martle

RayCanada

You've got quite a nice collection of these hammered coins. Thanks for sharing them with us. They'll make nice entries in the next go-round of PCI or BPCI.

Thank you for sharing your fine collection of QEI coins. She has to be without question one of the most innately fascinating of all the English/British monarchs, and I value my QEI coins as remnants of a remarkable time in British history.

These pennies are scarce as hen's teeth by comparison to their larger contemporaries, the Groat, the Sixpence, and the Shilling.

Thank you, I thought people might like to see them. I'm also a big fan of the history of that period as it was a very interesting time in British History.

Thank you, I thought people might like to see them. I'm also a big fan of the history of that period as it was a very interesting time in British History.

I think all and all that whole 16th century was pivotal in all of British history, England, Ireland and Scotland. Consider also that Scotland had one of their most famous monarchs, Mary Queen of Scots, whom had her passions not tormented her could have been a remarkably well remembered leader of the Scots.

Queen Elizabeth is without a doubt the most remarkable of any British monarchs when you consider the fact that she was a woman, ruling a male dominated society, and did so with a unique strength of character uncommon in many people, but especially in 16th century women. She always seemed to strike a remarkable balance betwixt competing factions, whether they be foreign powers, domestic challengers, and religious leaders.

By example she was the marriage prize for so many foreign suitors that she could play her hand well in diplomatic negotiations, but all to naught in the end, she never married as is well known. If indeed she had a personal relationship, which has been alleged with Robert Dudley, she kept it remarkably discreet.

Her coinage is a reflection of the popular feeling for her, it has been suggested that her image was in fact enhanced by her admirers, and this maybe. However her personality and her character are also well reflected in her coinage and they remain as reminders of this most fascinating of all British reigns.

Archived