What did the mailman bring today?

bobbycoin

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The crowns on the king's head are definitely different!

More than that -- the ear on the first one is essentially straight down the back, while the second is more rounded. The first one's brow is more angled, and the second more rounded. And the first one's nose comes to a gentle peak, while again, the other is more rounded. Compare the first one to this pattern of an Edward VIII penny -- I really think they repurposed an Edward VIII design until they could make a proper George VI--it's known that Edward wanted his portrait facing left despite tradition (his should face right since his father's faced left), and since there were no portrait coins issued, it was decided to have George's face left because an Edward coin "should have" faced right.

When you overlay them (1937 to the left, 1941 to the right), it seems pretty clear to me not that these are different portraits of the same man, but portraits of different men entirely, even taking into account scaling and rotation differences:

twofacesofgeorge.jpg

I think I want to check my 1937 colonial issues now...

And it has arrived and it is good. The photos don't do it justice, not in the slightest.

http://steveoncoins....1800-half-dime/

That's beautiful Steve. I hope that you enjoy it.

Expo 86 Vancouver - Man In Motion, Man In touch

TransPo 86 - 100th Anniversay of Vancouver and Rail Transportation

2ev9t2b.jpg

Very nice coin. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Very nice coins guys. These are pretty. I must learn more about them and maybe add a few to my collection --- but I don't need another direction right now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I got a bunch of 1 oz copper rounds. (1000) I got some 1oz copper that is in the shape of a 45apc bullet. (100) Kendall Oil token from the 1930-40s. 1902 Barber Dime- AU, 1890 Indian cents - AU. 1938 Americain Legion Armistice Day 20th Anniversary token. And last but not least of all 7500 rounds of 22lr bullets. Not sure it all applies to this website but heck its what I got. :yahoo::yes:

10-(45).jpg

• 3 months later...
Weighing in at a 22.05g at a solid G-4 grade, my new 1936 lowball dollar. It weighed 23.33g when it left the mint, an impressive 5.5% loss of weight. I wonder how long it will take to get down to an honest aG-3? So far the rim is only starting to wear down at 8 o'clock on the obverse.
1936lowballdollarr.jpg
1936lowballdollaro.jpg

Weighing in at a 22.05g at a solid G-4 grade, my new 1936 lowball dollar. It weighed 23.33g when it left the mint, an impressive 5.5% loss of weight. I wonder how long it will take to get down to an honest aG-3? So far the rim is only starting to wear down at 8 o'clock on the obverse.
1936lowballdollarr.jpg
1936lowballdollaro.jpg

Neat dollar. It has certainly seen some use.

• 1 year later...