What did the mailman bring today?

bobbycoin

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I pretty much paid full redbook value for an AU-50 specimen, but I think it was a fair price.

Depends on what year's redbook you used. :grin: Just joking. I'd have probably paid over redbook or dealer ask for a coin that beautiful -- if I needed it.

Do you have an album of your half dollar collection online so that we can see the whole thing?

Got another one last week from Thailand! A prize for the contest of guessing when omnicoin would reach 102,000 coins, it's a commemorative 50-baht coin for the Thai mint! Very cool, but I haven't had a chance to post it to Omnicoin yet, mayby next weekend!

Today i have recieved 3 packages in the mail.

All from members of another forum.

One of the packages was a prize i won with the contest.

A 1923 Peace Dollar graded by PCGS as MS63

The seccond package:

Lincoln Memoral:

Lincoln Shield:

Indian Head:

Westward journey:

-2010 P

-2011 P

Roosevelt Clad Dime:

-2000 P

Quarter Dollar:

-1998 P

Quarter Dollar State:

-2007 P Montana

Kennedy Half Dollar:

Kennedy Half Dollar Bicentennial:

The third package:

Lincoln Memorial:

Lincoln Bicentennial:

Lincoln Wheat:

Jefferson Nickel:

-1964 D

-1995 P

-2001 P

Buffalo Nickel:

-2005 D

Roosevelt Clad Dime:

-1987 P

-1997 P

-2011 P

Quarter Dollar

Quarter Dollar State:

-2009 P District of Columbia

Eisenhower Dollar:

My collection grew from 48 to 78

Today i have recieved 3 packages in the mail.

All from members of another forum.

One of the packages was a prize i won with the contest.

A 1923 Peace Dollar graded by PCGS as MS63

The seccond package:

Lincoln Memoral:

Lincoln Shield:

Indian Head:

Westward journey:

-2010 P

-2011 P

Roosevelt Clad Dime:

-2000 P

Quarter Dollar:

-1998 P

Quarter Dollar State:

-2007 P Montana

Kennedy Half Dollar:

Kennedy Half Dollar Bicentennial:

The third package:

Lincoln Memorial:

Lincoln Bicentennial:

Lincoln Wheat:

Jefferson Nickel:

-1964 D

-1995 P

-2001 P

Buffalo Nickel:

-2005 D

Roosevelt Clad Dime:

-1987 P

-1997 P

-2011 P

Quarter Dollar

Quarter Dollar State:

-2009 P District of Columbia

Eisenhower Dollar:

My collection grew from 48 to 78

Congratulations. That's a nice group of additions and that prize is especially nice. :bthumbsup:

Now you have two of the three Indian Head types--you've got a cupronickel 1862 and a bronze 1903. I suspect finding an 1859 with the older wreath will be a bit of a challenge. (And most IHC collectors bring in the Flying Eagle cent as well, just because its 1857-58 run was so short it's sort of a prelude. (Yes, I know there was an 1856 Flying Eagle pattern as well.) )

Meanwhile you are starting to see some filling in of your date runs for current types. It's interesting to read the perspective of someone outside of the US working on a collection of coins that I deal with every day.

(I remember seeing a perfectly ordinary nickel in the "junk foreign" bucket of a coin dealer set up at some sort of weekend market in Maastricht a couple of days after I got to Europe as a tourist (1991), and having to give that one a fraction of a second of thought--no, it wasn't a mistake and it didn't belong in the cash register. If I hadn't deliberately left my US change at home I could probably have made a small business deal with the proprietor, perhaps gotten an entire guilder for a dollar's worth of change. On second thought, bad idea.)

You are probably wishing you could just spend a lot of time over here plucking all those missing dates from circulation. Even without doing determined mass searches of rolls you still see clad coins from the 60s from time to time, older Lincoln Memorial cents, and even--much more infrequently--older nickels from the 1950s and before (it has been a while since I got one, come to think of it), wheat reverse cents (once or twice a year), and the like. OK, I should quit twisting the knife, trying to get you envious. (Of course those older coins won't be in the best of condition!)

• 4 weeks later...

It's quite a common date. But it was still a ways from the end of silver coinage in Canada. I suspect a lot of the early 1960's silver coinage did circulate at least somewhat, with few people saving these "new, common coins", resulting in few gem coins surviving. This was also the time period before people started saving the silver coins in the mid-late 60's. It wasn't until 1967 that they reduced the silver content of dimes/quarters from 80% to 50%, then in 1968 50% to 0% (100% nickel).

The bi-yearly coin show is always good to me. But not always good to my wallet! I got there practically the minute they opened the door, and set off to find my two favorite dealers who deal mostly in ancients and medieval coins.

Said hi to the first dealer and started to admire some of the coins in his case. He brought a very nice Byzantine coin from his desk and told me he thought I'd like it. He knows I like nice portraits, so despite never having bought a Byzantine coin from him (or anywhere) I liked the look of it and bought it.

th_MauriceTiberiusAEFollis582-602AD28mm11gEFobv.jpg th_MauriceTiberiusAEFollis582-602AD28mm11gEFrev.jpg

Maurice Tiberius AE follis 11.2g 28mm Antioch/Theuopolis mint 593/4 AD, EF grade. $110. Nice portrait and a hint of sand patina (I believe he said this was from around the area that is now Syria).

Soon after, I saw some room at dealer #2's table that had boxes of affordable (mostly $20-100) world and ancient coins. Flipping through there I pick out the following 2 romans,1 macedonian, an upgrade to my 1935 British rocking horse crown, a random cool looking Hampshire Portsea 1/2 penny condor token and a neat 1 year type Swiss Cantons 20 kreuzer.

th_ElagabalusARdenariusAD218-222RomeAD219gVFobv2.jpg th_ElagabalusARdenariusAD218-222RomeAD219gVFrev.jpg

Elagabalus AR denarius AD 219, gVF, I'd say an EF portrait for sure. $95.

th_SeverusAlexanderARdenariusAD222-235gVF-EFobv.jpg th_SeverusAlexanderARdenariusAD222-235gVF-EFrev.jpg

Severus Alexander AR denarius AD 222-235 XF/gVF. $100. Probably my favourite purchase of the day. Has a nice lightly circulated/reverse cameo look to it. Now that I look closer I see an outline around Alexander's profile. Possibly overstruck on a previous issue? I'll re-photograph and post in the ancients forum.

th_MacedoniaPhilipII359-336BCVFobv.jpg th_MacedoniaPhilipII359-336BCVFrev.jpg

Macedonian Philip II AE17, 359-336 BC. VF or so, very thick flan, dark blue/green patina. $65.

th_1796HampshirePortseahalfpennycondortokenobv2.jpg th_1796HampshirePortseahalfpennycondortokenrev.jpg

1796 Hampshire Portsea 1/2 penny token. gF grade. $15

part 2

th_1935BritishCrownRockingHorsegEFrev.jpg th_1935BritishCrownRockingHorsegEFobv.jpg

1935 George V Crown. gEF with a nice, even steel grey tone to both sides. $30. Almost makes me wonder if it's a lightly circulated matte proof or something. I actually had a choice between this coin and another lusterous 1935 crown. But the lusterous one had an odd look to it. The lusture wasn't cartwheel it was like 5-6 mini cartwheels that was distracting to even look at in the light.

th_1774HSwissCantonsStGall20kreuzergFobv.jpg th_1774HSwissCantonsStGall20kreuzergFrev.jpg

1774H Swiss Cantons St. Gall 20 kreuzer. Described as nice F. I liked the scene and detail a lot so I added it to the pile, $50.

Circled the room a few more times and my eyes glazed over the sea of paper money and slabbed Canadian coins. Stopped by a few other dealer booths who had ancients, but none really impressed me.

th_RomanEgyptPtolemyIII247-222BCAE34rev.jpg th_RomanEgyptPtolemyIII247-222BCAE34Zeusobv.jpg

Egypt Ptolemy III 247-222 BC AE 34mm Zeus obverse, Eagle standing left with thunderbolt and cornucopia on reverse. Alexandria mint. $350.

Back to dealer #1's table and I spot a fairly large sized Ptolemy III bronze piece- very similar to the huge bronze one I missed out on last show at the same dealer's booth. Although much smaller in size, the details were exellent and it had an overall pleasant look despite some encrustations. My first cast ancient coin. The process in making these involved casting a planchet, then putting it in a lathe (hence the circular impressions at the center of each side of the coin) to shape it. After that it was then struck. It must have taken a lot of pressure to strike a piece that large!

Nearly tapped out in both energy and money, I circle the room a few more times. I end up buying a nice looking 5 oz JM poured bar for a decent premium. It looks like it was minted yesterday, the collector/small time dealer had it and two others in a perfectly fitting airtight plastic case.

th_JM5ozpouredbar.jpg

All in all, a very good show!

Thanks guys. It is quite a good show. Only comes twice a year so I make sure to load up and empty the wallet, lol. Today was much busier than most other show dates. The venue was pretty good, better lighting and more space than last year. They had a second mini area just for appraisals and exhibits, away from the main bourse area. Also there were a lot more kids at this show than in any show I've attended before.

ccg, dealer #2 in this trip report is Calgary Coins. They'll be at the March 31-April 1 show in Vancouver. You should definitely check them out. They'e an awesome couple of dealers who do deal in practically everything. Very knowledgeable and very fair prices and good quality stuff. It's rare that I see more than 10% of the same coins in their stock from one show to the next.

ccg, dealer #2 in this trip report is Calgary Coins. They'll be at the March 31-April 1 show in Vancouver. You should definitely check them out. They'e an awesome couple of dealers who do deal in practically everything. Very knowledgeable and very fair prices and good quality stuff. It's rare that I see more than 10% of the same coins in their stock from one show to the next.

Always do. :) That writing on the crown's holder is one of the few that I recognize.

Nice show :D

The bi-yearly coin show is always good to me. But not always good to my wallet! I got there practically the minute they opened the door, and set off to find my two favorite dealers who deal mostly in ancients and medieval coins.

Said hi to the first dealer and started to admire some of the coins in his case. He brought a very nice Byzantine coin from his desk and told me he thought I'd like it. He knows I like nice portraits, so despite never having bought a Byzantine coin from him (or anywhere) I liked the look of it and bought it.

th_MauriceTiberiusAEFollis582-602AD28mm11gEFobv.jpg th_MauriceTiberiusAEFollis582-602AD28mm11gEFrev.jpg

Maurice Tiberius AE follis 11.2g 28mm Antioch/Theuopolis mint 593/4 AD, EF grade. $110. Nice portrait and a hint of sand patina (I believe he said this was from around the area that is now Syria).

Soon after, I saw some room at dealer #2's table that had boxes of affordable (mostly $20-100) world and ancient coins. Flipping through there I pick out the following 2 romans,1 macedonian, an upgrade to my 1935 British rocking horse crown, a random cool looking Hampshire Portsea 1/2 penny condor token and a neat 1 year type Swiss Cantons 20 kreuzer.

th_ElagabalusARdenariusAD218-222RomeAD219gVFobv2.jpg th_ElagabalusARdenariusAD218-222RomeAD219gVFrev.jpg

Elagabalus AR denarius AD 219, gVF, I'd say an EF portrait for sure. $95.

th_SeverusAlexanderARdenariusAD222-235gVF-EFobv.jpg th_SeverusAlexanderARdenariusAD222-235gVF-EFrev.jpg

Severus Alexander AR denarius AD 222-235 XF/gVF. $100. Probably my favourite purchase of the day. Has a nice lightly circulated/reverse cameo look to it. Now that I look closer I see an outline around Alexander's profile. Possibly overstruck on a previous issue? I'll re-photograph and post in the ancients forum.

th_MacedoniaPhilipII359-336BCVFobv.jpg th_MacedoniaPhilipII359-336BCVFrev.jpg

Macedonian Philip II AE17, 359-336 BC. VF or so, very thick flan, dark blue/green patina. $65.

th_1796HampshirePortseahalfpennycondortokenobv2.jpg th_1796HampshirePortseahalfpennycondortokenrev.jpg

1796 Hampshire Portsea 1/2 penny token. gF grade. $15

Day 2, Part 3!

I had posted about my newp 5 oz JM poured bar on another (precious metals) forum and got a couple nearly instant responses asking if I'd sell them one if I could get another one.

So I decide to forego my usual sleep in to make sure I get to the show at 10am sharp. I head on over to the dealer's table, but the last two poured 5 oz JM bars are gone. Rats.

As a secondary objective, I had brought some coins with me to have checked out. The 1820 George IV half crown I recently posted (http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?/topic/31858-i-3-george-iv-halfcrowns/page__p__559901&do=findComment&comment=559901) and was a little concerned about hairlines. Opinion I heard was that the hairlines weren't detrimental at all, quite market acceptable.

Got a 2nd and 3rd opinion on my nickel struck on a penny planchet (http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?/topic/31438-newp-1999-5-cents-struck-on-penny-planchet/) and confirmed my belief that it is most certainly a nickel struck on a copper plated zinc Canadian 1 cent planchet, rather than some other foreign planchet. Retail values suggested for it varied quite a bit though.

At dealer #1 I saw a couple small silver bars in the back of his case that weren't there yesterday. 2oz and 5oz poured with the the letters NCM written inside a Nevada state outline. Asked how much, got them for about spot +$3.50/oz.

th_5ozNCMNevadabar.jpg

I wander over to some other bullion dealers and see one with some 10oz and 20oz bars which had been sitting there since the day before. Saw some of the same 20oz poured style (Engelhard I believe) bars in a main bullion only dealer's case that hadn't sold either, so I passed on those. This dealer, myself and another customer/collector started talking about small and oddsize bars. I say, what a coincidence, check these two I just bought.

I pull out the 5 oz and show the collector is quite impressed, I can tell he really likes it. As he fondles it I am digging around in my backpack and pull out the 2 oz. His face lights up and he says he has to have it. I believe he offered me $120 on the spot for the 2 oz bar. I hesitate and he says "$150? $170?" Over double the spot price. He confirms my suspicions when he says "I am crazy, I will pay that!" and laughs.

Since I kind of like the bars and keeping them as part of a collection/set, I tell him I'll think about it and will catch up with him later. He asks where I bought and if he has any more of them. I tell him probably no more left, but I direct him over there any way.

I do some more rounds, find another cool little bar (2.8 oz MMI with engraving on the back)

th_2o8ozMMIbar30131.jpgth_2o8ozMMIbar30131engravedback.jpg

I spot the bar collector again. I tell him I could probably part with the 2 oz bar and confirm that I'd sell for $170. We make a quick exit and we do the deal. I also show him the newest 2.8 oz bar and he says "you're killing me here!" and laughs. We exchange info and we may end up doing a deal for my 5 oz and/or 2.8oz bar in the future.

I return to the dealer where I got the 2oz and 5oz bars and make another ancient coin purchase.

All in all a pretty good half a day!

Newps for today other than the bars:

th_1907Hungary5koronaJubileetonedobv.jpg

th_1907Hungary5koronaJubileetonedrev.jpg

1907 Hungarian 5 Korona, Jubilee commemorative. Saw the toning on this one and couldn't pass it up. I captured it not too badly in the photos. The reverse is much better. Grade EF, $55

th_CrispusAEFollis217-326ADAntiochmintgEFobv.jpg

th_CrispusAEFollis217-326ADAntiochmintgEFrev.jpg

Crispus AE Follis, 317-326 AD. Choice EF and virtually as struck. Dark, glossy patina. $80

th_MysiaParioncirca4thcenturyBCSilverHemidrachm12mm2o13gCownrev.jpg

th_MysiaParioncirca4thcenturyBCSilverHemidrachm12mm2o13gGorgonheadobv.jpg

MYSIA, Parion, circa 4th Century B.C., Silver Hemidrachm (12 mm, 2.13 gm., 6h) VF $95

Obv: Gorgon’s head facing

Rev: Cow standing to left, its head turned back, licking its flank, Π-A / P-I above and below, a bunch of grapes below.

Seller's website pic below

4242LG.jpg