bobbycoin

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheronessos hemidrachm.Chernessos_hemidrachm.jpg

That is a nice piece, not a particularly common variety either. Curiously the pellet in the upper right quadrant looks like it is over something else. It looks as though the die was modified at some late date and they just put a pellet there instead of whatever is under it.

For an interesting look at the varieties of these coins look here:

Barry Murphy's Page on Cheronessos Hemidrachms

Neat! The only difference I noticed is that the mintmark-or-whatever-that-is can be found right below the A (of "gramos") on one coin, and below the AM (ie. further right) on the other. Similarly, the O's (in "peso") are positioned slightly differently. Oh well - nice (and heavy) pieces they are ...

Christian

Neat! The only difference I noticed is that the mintmark-or-whatever-that-is can be found right below the A (of "gramos") on one coin, and below the AM (ie. further right) on the other. Similarly, the O's (in "peso") are positioned slightly differently. Oh well - nice (and heavy) pieces they are ...

Christian

I see the difference now, thanks for pointing that out! And yes, these are big coins. I compared one to a silver eagle last night and they are slightly larger in diameter and weight since they are only 0.925 fine, they weigh more than an ounce. These were produced right before the fat onzas of the early 1980s which are my favorite due to their thickness and lettered edge.

I am now the proud owner of a one-of-a-kind piece of craftsmanship, compliments of billzach! Got my slip in the mail yesterday and went and picked it up (my hobo nickel contest prize) this morning. I've showed it off all day at work and have already had several offers. I told them :ninja: !!! It is a beautiful piece which will probably travel in my purse for a while so I can show it off. I AM SO THRILLED!!! THANK YOU!!!

from my cousin in Calgary, as chrismas present :

Canada 2005 V-nickel

Canada 2005 50 cents proof silver with butterfly hologram (Great Spangled Fritillary)

907435.jpg

The coin is not coloured, but the holographic image makes it appear to be coloured. If you tilt the coin a little, the colours change completely

Well looks like the mailman came back again. I just found another package in my mailbox containing...

1994 Lithuania 10 Litu Proof

1995 Andorra 10 Diners Proof Ecu

1998 Austria 10 Ecu Haydn Proof

1990 Hungary 100 Forint Proof Theater

2005 Hungary 500 Forint Proof Car Square coin

Two shipments arrived today :ninja:

One containing:

South Africa

1960 5 shilling "50th aniversary South African Union"

The other containing:

Canada

1953 1 dollar

1983 1 dollar

1984 1 dollar "Jacques Cartier"

1943 50 cents

1957 50 cents

1965 50 cents

1940 25 cents

1950 25 cents

1962 25 cents

1966 25 cents

1968 25 cents

2004 25 cents "poppy"

2004 25 cents "ship"

2005 25 cents "veterans"

1947 10 cents

1966 10 cents

;) ;)

Two complete sets of Portugal Euros dated 2005 for my nippers,

Then Austria

1 Schilling 1924

20 Heller 1916

2 Schilling 1924

5 Groschen 1931

2 Heller 1918

1 Schilling 1908

1 Schilling 1915

Half Schilling 1924

Then Portuguese beauties all Brilliant Uncirculated:

1 Centavo 1918

2 Centavos 1918

5 Centavos 1921

10 Centavos 1915

50 Centavos 1916

I will post pics of the Portuguese later tonight.

Thank you very much JoseMartins, wow, aside from the 2 Centavos the rest of the Portuguese coins were a surprise.

Got my German Commem. ;) Love it. It looks a lot better than I thought it would.

Oh the evil mailman left me another slip too! I swear, I'm not a violent person, but I really would like to smack this guy. :ninja: