CoinPeople.com

What did the mailman bring today?

bobbycoin

Well, not in the mail, but at the coin shop... This vacation and not having to go to work stuff is a pretty good concept. Got some work done, browsed a used book store for a few hours and, of course, hit one of the local coin shops where I picked these up...

A nice $1 Australian silver bullion coin - I know these are common as dirt, but boy they look nice to me.

aus1bul1small6no.jpg

Next, I scored this 2005 SAE, just because of the cool toning. I know, it's a 2005, so how could it have natural toning? Well, this is a very well-established and reliable dealer and the coin was sitting in the sunny display area in an open, fancy red fir, box and it toned on the obverse - I've seen them like this before. It was exactly the same price as any other 2005 they had, so what the heck. (OMG I bought a toned coin!).

sae2005stonedsmall5qt.jpg

Finally, this 1966, 500L... I have a circulated example that I previously posted here link but this one is MS and *loaded* with luster - I really like this type - and, it was only $10!

1966l500mssmall3vd.jpg

All-in-all, not a bad haul.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A nice $1 Australian silver bullion coin - I know these are common as dirt, but boy they look nice to me.

They are nice looking. I just recently picked up a 2oz, 2005 - Year of the Rooster one.

That 500L is beautiful, is it silver?  When I was in Italy all the 500L coins were bimetallic nickel bronze, and not all that pretty.  nice haul! :ninja:

Yup, it's silver. And that one you picked up, syzygy, is gorgeous!! ;)

And it has an interesting feature ( I think): the date is located in the edge lettering, which is raised.

I have the same one and I bought mine in Italy in a small stamps shop that also sells coins. I read on the 2x2 that it was a 1966, so I bought it. Back in the hotel I couldn't find any date on it. Only back at home, when I removed it from the 2x2, I discovered the edge lettering with the date.

Yup, it's silver. And that one you picked up, syzygy, is gorgeous!! :ninja:

And it has an interesting feature ( I think): the date is located in the edge lettering, which is raised.

I have the same one and I bought mine in Italy in a small stamps shop that also sells coins. I read on the 2x2 that it was a 1966, so I bought it. Back in the hotel I couldn't find any date on it. Only back at home, when I removed it from the 2x2, I discovered the edge lettering with the date.

Yes! here is the edge from the 1959 that I posted previously - the MS piece that I just bought is also a 1966 like yours.

1959l500edge5lm.jpg

Whoaaa $5 - that's below melt - was there a big S&H or something because that's a great deal!

It was $5 with shipping. Guy didnt know what he had. Sold it as a Chrysler Dollar because he had recieved it from chrysler for something. I think I was the only one to bid on it. Kinda a sketchy looking auction IIRC (it was 6 months ago) so I took a chance and it worked out good... And it spawned this thread :ninja:

-Bobby

Handbook of Ancient Greek & Roman Coins that was a prize from jlueke. Really nice book and arrived in perfect condition (surprising with these mail people).

Thank you very much!

Watch out, then the disease gets raging when you get into ancients, and now I don't like cheapie ancients but only the pricey ones :ninja:

it's kitty-approved:

78328951_62d362ac5c.jpg

what it is (kinda hard to see because chelsea is in the way): a san francisco mint medal (which shows a staircase i've never seen and am not sure still exists), and a california fifty state quarters spoon!

thanks, secret santa partner person!

:ninja: That kitty approval means a lot!

;)