CoinPeople.com

German 3rd REICH 1938 5 REICHS MARK

Jan

Does anyone know anything about this coin or know how much it's worth? The back of the coin shows Paul von Hindenburg. Someone told me it is 90% silver, but I'm not sure about that. :ninja:

[EDIT] Here are some better pictures of the actual coins. It does look to me that they have been cleaned but I am in no way an expert.

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

Welcome Jan!

Depending on the mintmark, Krause says it could be anywhere from @9USD to @14USD, ranging in the XF condition which this coin seems to look like. More for specialized collectors.

It may be the lighting or just how the photo was taken, but this coin appears to me to have been cleaned, almost shined up. If so, the value would be less.

Yep, looks polished to me too. It actually is a silver (Ag900) coin, but from the picture it looks as if it was gilded. If that effect is not due to the light, the piece may have been "coated" by a third party.

Christian

Jan, seeing as you and Tiffi both like German coinage I scanned two of my many marks. Hope you like them.

First we have a 1922-A 3 Mark

scan0010.jpg

3Mark.jpg

Next is a 1913 2 Mark which took me quite a while to find. Something like $8 off Ebay. Great coin if you overlook the rim ding.

scan0004.jpg

2Mark1913.jpg

I identified a 10 phenning in the batch of coins I recieved from my dead grandmother last night. Its in pretty good shape.

Hey burks, nice coins.  That 1913 2 Mark is especially interesting with snake fighting eagle on it.

Yes it is. I really like coins like that one. Almost looks like a medal but it's a coin.

Scanned a few more you may like.

ToneMark.jpg

Nicely toned 1994 Mark. Little bit of red but mostly a gold tone. Reverse is just starting to show a little bit of gold around the edge.

19512Mark2.jpg

19512Mark.jpg

That one was hard to come by. I got a great deal off Blackhawk for this one.

Archived