CoinPeople.com

What do you do when your collections overlap?

Guest Stujoe

I collect 1900 to present US coins and I also do a Dansco US type set. When I got the Dansco album, I needed a Type I Buffalo which I happened to have in my 1900-present set. So I went to my other set and took that one and put it in the album. Now I have a hole in my 1900 to present set! ;) So how do you handle that? Have one coin do double duty? Get two coins?

Even though I know I have a 1913 that could satisfy both sets, I know I am going to have to buy another 1913 or it is going to bug me.

OCD stage 4, here I come! :ninja:

It's often a tough decision especially when collecting tokens and medals. I'll always pick up a duplicate if it's available cheaply otherwise I'll just have to remember that it's in another collection. The same thing rarely seems as bis a problem in the coin collections since there's no danger of forgeting it and the cost of a duplicate piece can be prohibitive anyway.

This is why i'm glad i don't do the album page thing where there'd be a glaring gap.

If collections overlap, i let them.

I've had coins filling in in three sets before now, one in a date set, a larger type set and in a year set. I dare say if i still had it, then it would be filling in under four sets, because it'd be doing the royal mugshot set as well.

That's the joy of accoin cabinet, you can move them around as and where you like.

I'm not really into duplicates.

Buy the duplicate coin. I hate holes in an album and, in the back of my mind (I do have one some where), I know if I ever need to sell any thing for some extra bucks or hard times some day, I can sell off one of the coins and still have a complete set! Works for me.

Well... I have one VDB cent in my Lincolns and one VDB in my type set.  Any questions???  :ninja:

Just one question.... are they both San Francisco issues? ;)

Now you understand the beauty of slabbed coins and registry sets!  I have coins that are part of multiple sets, and it doesn't bother me a bit, since I can see them duplicated electronically in my registry "albums."  :ninja:

I can do that on my spreadsheet too (just put an X in both spots ;)) but when I go to open up that album, Wham!, a hole staring me straight in the face. ;)

Now you understand the beauty of slabbed coins and registry sets!  I have coins that are part of multiple sets, and it doesn't bother me a bit, since I can see them duplicated electronically in my registry "albums."  :ninja:

Just a side note: us raw guys may be able to do the same thing on OmniCoin pretty soon. ;)

http://coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=4320

But I don't think it will help with my empty hole OCD. ;)

I had to get a 1909-S VDB for my Lincoln set, another for my 20th century set, ANOTHER for my 19 & 20th century set, and ANOTHER for my "Coins of 1909" set!!!!

(......just kidding!.....)

...actually, for my Large Cent Sheldon Variety Set, I have many coins in my Dansco book, some in 2x2's, and others in slabs.....so they are all over the place....I just know what I have with my written checklist that I refer to.

Funny that you should ask, Stu...

It seems to me that when I asked basically the same question on the old site you were one of the people that told me to buy a dupe! ;)

I still allow them to overlap, though. Of course, I don't use albums--I never seem to find one that has the proper holes.

Jim

So poor even his coins have to have second jobs! :ninja:

:ninja: I don't remember that thread but I am not surprised that I said to buy a dupe. I am pretty good at spending other people's money...I work for the government, after all. ;)

I collect 1900 to present US coins and I also do a Dansco US type set. When I got the Dansco album, I needed a Type I Buffalo which I happened to have in my 1900-present set. So I went to my other set and took that one and put it in the album. Now I have a hole in my 1900 to present set! ;) So how do you handle that? Have one coin do double duty? Get two coins?

Even though I know I have a 1913 that could satisfy both sets, I know I am going to have to buy another 1913 or it is going to bug me.

OCD stage 4, here I come! :ninja:

Free yourself from the foul power of the Dansco corporation ;)

Free yourself from the foul power of the Dansco corporation  ;)

I just transplanted all 227 nickels in my 1900-present set into a Dansco album I made up for it. It looks much better than the 2x2's in a 3 ring binder but...Now that missing 1913 realy bugs me when I open it up! Holes are even more obvious in a Dansco! :ninja:

Guest 50cents
I just transplanted all 227 nickels in my 1900-present set into a Dansco album I made up for it. It looks much better than the 2x2's in a 3 ring binder but...Now that missing 1913 realy bugs me when I open it up! Holes are even more obvious in a Dansco! :ninja:

I think Legend's has one for sale: http://www.legendcoin.com/2005/index.html

Archived